About This Chapter
Pathogens & the Immune System - Chapter Summary
This chapter gives you the opportunity to review how the body's immune system works. You'll examine all of the pathogens that can attack the immune system, causing it to kick into action. Autoimmune diseases and allergies are also discussed in this chapter, and you'll examine how disease pathogens are dealt with. After viewing all of the videos, you should be able to:
- Define adaptive immunity
- Describe the structure of viruses
- Differentiate a disease from an infection
- Identify common antibiotics and vaccines, and discuss antibiotic resistance
- State the different types of autoimmune diseases
The videos in this chapter use engaging animations and include video tags at the bottom. Clicking on these tags lets you instantly move to a certain section of a video. See how much knowledge you've gained about the immune system and pathogens by using the self-assessment quizzes, which are available both online and as printable worksheets.
1. What Is the Immune System? - Our Body's Defense Against Pathogens
In this lesson, you will be introduced to the immune system. You'll learn about the innate and adaptive immune system, Edward Jenner, haptens and immune tolerance.
2. What Is Adaptive Immunity? - Definition and Types
This lesson will help you distinguish between several different types of immunity. This includes passive immunity, active immunity, naturally acquired immunity and artificially acquired immunity.
3. What Are Viruses? - Definition, Structure & Function
In this lesson, you'll learn some historical facts about viruses and the material they are composed of. Find out more as we review the capsid, nucleic acids, the viral envelope, viruses, virions, bacteriophages and virology.
4. The Differences Between Infection and Disease
This lesson will go over the differences between an infection and a disease. We'll cover everything from prions and infectivity to opportunistic infections and idiopathic disease. We'll also learn what the etiology of disease is and much more.
5. Antibiotics and Vaccines
Do you know why children must get regularly vaccinated? Have you ever wondered how an antibiotic works and why they are so widely prescribed? If so, this lesson will help you to understand how changes in medicine have almost eliminated several deadly diseases and added decades to the average person's lifespan.
6. Pathogens: Antibiotic Resistance and Virulence
Find out more about how the overuse of antibiotics could lead to some serious problems with epidemics or untreatable diseases in the future. You can also discover some of the things that make pathogens harmful and why pathogens don't cause disease in every species they infect.
7. Allergies and Asthma: Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
This lesson explores the meaning of allergies and asthma and how they may interact with one another at the same time. You'll learn about allergic rhinitis, intrinsic asthma and extrinsic asthma as well as the signs, symptoms, and treatment options of each.
8. Autoimmune Diseases: Definitions & Types
What is an autoimmune disease? Why does it occur? What are some examples of autoimmune diseases? This lesson will describe myasthenia gravis, multiple sclerosis, type 1 diabetes, and much more.
9. Immune Deficiency Diseases: Definitions & Types
This lesson will teach you about the immune system, what immune deficiency means, why that's dangerous, and about the important causes of such a problem, including HIV/AIDS, SCID, CVID, and more.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PLACE Health: Practice & Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Infant Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescence Growth & Development
- Growth & Development in Adulthood
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Mendelian Genetics & Mechanisms of Heredity
- Health of the Aging Population
- Dying and Bereavement in Older Adults
- Understanding the Disease Process
- Nutritional Health & Diet Planning
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein's Role in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals in Nutrition
- Symptoms of Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity
- How Vitamins Support Nutrition
- Eating Disorders & Treatments
- Weight Management & Energy Needs
- Understanding Dental Health
- Physical Fitness & Nutrition
- Effects of Sleep on Health
- Health & Wellness Basics
- Emotional and Mental Health
- Making Health Decisions
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Family Systems & Healthy Behavior
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Managing Family & Peer Relationships
- Sexuality & Health
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Community & Public Health
- Child Abuse & Abduction
- Sexual Harassment & Violence
- Environmental Risk Analysis
- Environmental Pollution & Health Concerns
- Personal Safety Precautions
- PLACE Health Flashcards