About This Chapter
Patient Assessment & Diagnostics - Chapter Summary
Gain greater insight into geriatric assessments, developmental assessments, techniques for physical assessment and more by exploring this self-paced chapter. Fun lessons make it easy to comprehend the basics of patient assessment and diagnostics. Review them at your own pace to ensure you're able to:
- Explain how a SOAP note can assist in initial patient assessment
- Share guidelines for assessing pain and discomfort levels in patients
- Describe techniques and data collection for geriatric assessments
- Discuss the purpose and methods of diagnostic techniques
- Detail ways to differentiate between normal and abnormal diagnostic test results
- Provide details about the implementation, interpretation and follow-up of developmental assessments
- List and describe techniques for physical assessment
- Define and discuss the purpose of clinical assessment in psychology
Utilize any resources in this chapter that can effectively refresh or expand your knowledge of patient assessment and diagnostics. Review the lessons to get reacquainted with important topics, and take accompanying quizzes to check your understanding of the lessons. Our Dashboard lets you quickly revisit specific portions of this chapter and submit lesson topic questions to our experts. These resources are accessible 24/7 using any computer or mobile device.
1. Basics of an Initial Patient Assessment
Assessing a patient may seem like an overwhelming assignment, but using the simple tool of a SOAP note makes it manageable. This lesson describes the format of a SOAP note and how it will help to guide your initial patient assessment.
2. Assessing Pain & Discomfort Levels in Patients
You are caring for someone who tells you they are experiencing pain. Is it really pain and how can you tell? The purpose of this lesson is to give you some guidelines as well as signs and symptoms that will alert you to whether or not a patient requires medication for pain.
3. Geriatric Assessments: Overview, Techniques & Data Collection
Are you having a senior moment trying to remember how to perform geriatric nursing assessments? In this lesson we will review the basics of geriatric nursing assessments, including an overview, techniques, and collection and documentation of subjective and objective data.
4. Diagnostic Techniques: Purpose & Methods
In this lesson we will cover the purpose and methods of certain diagnostic testing. Following basic screening tests, further diagnostic testing is often needed to monitor or understand diseases or dysfunctions.
5. Interpreting Diagnostic Test Results: Normal & Abnormal
This lesson goes over some tips and examples of interpreting diagnostic test results. This includes things like vital signs and bloodwork and some notes on developmental and psychosocial tests as well.
6. Techniques for Physical Assessment
In this lesson, we will identify the techniques used to complete a physical assessment. We will discuss the purpose for each technique as well as how they are performed to obtain a physical assessment.
7. What is Clinical Assessment in Psychology? - Definition and Purpose
If you're a psychologist and a patient comes to see you, how do you know what is wrong? In this lesson, we'll look at clinical psychological assessments and how psychologists use them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing