About This Chapter
Patient-Centered Information Technology - Chapter Summary
Get an overview of patient-centered information technology with this useful online nursing chapter. As you follow along with our expert instructors, you'll become familiar with the applications of information technology in healthcare settings, as well as topics regarding informatics-enabled evidence-based care. You can reinforce your understanding of these topics by taking the accompanying self-assessment quizzes and chapter exam. Use any Internet-connected device to study, and reach out to our instructors if you have any questions. When you're finished with the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Evaluate the use of informatics to facilitate patient safety and promote evidence-based practice
- Identify patient-centered Internet and mobile healthcare applications
- Discuss the role of information technology in clinical practice and home health
- Summarize public policy issues regarding the use of IT for disease management
- Understand the main components of informatics-enabled evidence-based care
- Assess the ethical considerations of patient-centered information technology
1. Using Informatics for Patient Safety & Evidence-Based Practice
This lesson looks at how information technology can aid patient safety and evidence-based practice. The objective is to keep patients safe in the delivery of health care while using technology to support staff and reduce errors.
2. Patient-Centered Internet Applications
The world of healthcare has become more complex during recent years. To keep pace with the change, the Internet is playing a role in empowering patients to manage and monitor their own health conditions. This lesson is about patient-centered Internet applications.
3. Patient-Centered Mobile Health Care Applications
In this lesson, you will learn about patient-centered mobile health care applications. You will learn what a mobile health care application is, as well as its advantages and disadvantages.
4. Information Technology: Home Telehealth Applications
Providing patient healthcare technology in remote locations has given patients more access to care. Telehealth will be discussed in this lesson, including the benefits and challenges associated with this innovative technology.
5. Information Technology: Clinical Practice
In this lesson, we will discuss how information technology influences clinical practice. We will discuss what information technology is and the ways that it is used by different people at varying levels within the healthcare setting.
6. Public Policy Issues: Using IT for Disease Management
Healthcare relies on the use of information technology. It is developing at such a rate that public interest and ethical considerations may be overlooked. In this lesson, learn about public policy as it applies to the use of IT in disease management.
7. Informatics-Enabled Evidence-Based Care
This lesson explains merging healthcare information technologies and providing nursing care to the patient and family. Having the information nurses need at the point of care can make patients safer.
8. Ethical Considerations Related to Patient-Centered IT
Patient-centered IT enables patients to participate in their own care through better access to their own medical information. Read this lesson to learn some of the basic ethical concerns related to this technological advancement.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Nursing 301: Nursing Informatics course
- Informatics & Information Systems in Healthcare
- Computer Hardware for Nursing Informatics
- Basic Computer Software for Nursing Informatics
- Online Connectivity & Security for Nursing Informatics
- Data Standards in Healthcare
- Nursing & Educational Informatics
- Informatics Literacy & Challenges in Nursing
- The Future of Nursing Informatics
- Required Assignments for Nursing 301
- Studying for Nursing 301