About This Chapter
PECT PAPA: Basic Measurement - Chapter Summary
This chapter on basic measurement examines the differences between U.S. and metric measurement units. Brush up on definitions and formulas related to Fahrenheit conversion, dimensional analysis and the metric system. You can also re-discover strategies for adding, subtracting, dividing and multiplying measurements in advance of taking the PECT PAPA examination. Watch the online video lessons in this chapter so that you can:
- Perform operations with measurements
- Convert between inches and feet, and feet and yards
- Identify the units of the metric system as well as standard units of measurement
- Calculate a unit conversion
- Define dimensional analysis
- Solve time formulas
- Explore the Fahrenheit and Celsius temperature scales
Throughout this chapter, you'll encounter concepts that you learned previously and simply need to review. The knowledgeable teachers present the information so that it's easy to absorb and fun to explore. The self-paced nature of the video lessons also make them convenient to watch. Use them to prepare for measurement questions on the PECT PAPA examination. Short quizzes are included in the chapter.
PECT PAPA: Basic Measurement Chapter Objectives
Demonstrate your capacity to estimate and calculate measurements, perform unit conversions and more when you reach the Mathematics module of the PECT PAPA examination. The assessment is computer-administered and is comprised of two other modules: Reading and Writing. Although each section includes 36 selected-response items, the Mathematics module takes up to 75 minutes for completion, while the Reading and Writing subareas have 45- and 75-minute time limits, respectively.
1. How to Perform Basic Operations with Measurements
In this video lesson, you will learn how measurements are very much like variables when it comes to adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing them. You will also see examples of how they are done.
2. Common Unit Conversions
Watch this video lesson, and you will become a pro at converting between inches and feet, between feet and yards, and between quarts and gallons. Learn the special numbers involved in each conversion.
3. The Metric System: Units and Conversion
Just like you and your friend communicate using the same language, scientists all over the world need to use the same language when reporting the measurements they make. This language is called the metric system. In this lesson we will cover the metric units for length, mass, volume, density and temperature, and also discuss how to convert among them.
4. Standard Units of Measurement for Length, Weight, Time & Capacity
Watch this video lesson to learn how to recognize the various units of measurement for length, weight, time and volume. Learn to recognize both U.S. units and metric units.
5. Changing Units in the Customary System of Measurement
Explore customary units and how they can be converted using simple ratios. You will learn the steps for performing a unit conversion calculation with a series of examples and practice problems.
6. What is Dimensional Analysis? - Definition & Examples
When we measure an object's size or amount, we encounter different units. Sometimes, we need to convert one unit to another, and this is where dimensional analysis comes in. In this lesson, we will learn about dimensional analysis and practice it.
7. How to Solve Problems with Time
It's amazing how much time can be saved when people work together. In this lesson, we'll practice figuring out just how much time we're talking about as we solve problems involving time.
8. Degrees Fahrenheit: Definition & Conversion
In this lesson, we will define the degree and the Fahrenheit temperature scale. We will also compare the Fahrenheit scale to the other temperature scales and learn how to convert between them.
9. Degrees Celsius: Definition & Conversion
Temperature refers to how hot or cold something is. The same temperature has different readings on the three temperature scales shown below - Fahrenheit, Celsius, and Kelvin. Learn more about the Celsius temperature scale, practice conversion among different scales, and test your knowledge with quiz questions.
10. Average Rate of Change: Definition, Formula & Examples
Average rate of change and slope of a line are very interconnected. They are actually one in the same. In this lesson, we will be discovering how they are interconnected.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PECT PAPA: Practice & Study Guide course
- PECT PAPA: Meaning of Words & Phrases in Text
- PECT PAPA: Purpose, Main Idea & Organization of Texts
- PECT PAPA: Analyzing & Interpreting Texts
- PECT PAPA: Drawing Inferences from Texts
- PECT PAPA: Numbers & the Number System
- PECT PAPA: Whole Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Positive & Negative Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Integers
- PECT PAPA: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Decimals
- PECT PAPA: Percents
- PECT PAPA: Fractions
- PECT PAPA: Exponents
- PECT PAPA: Linear & Nonlinear Functions
- PECT PAPA: Inequalities
- PECT PAPA: Geometric Concepts
- PECT PAPA: Measuring Geometric Figures
- PECT PAPA: Data & Statistics
- PECT PAPA: Probability
- PECT PAPA: Problem Solving & Reasoning in Math
- PECT PAPA: Writing Structure
- PECT PAPA: Syntax, Grammar & Sentence Structure
- PECT PAPA: Spelling, Capitalization & Punctuation
- PECT PAPA: Writing Strategy
- PECT PAPA: Revising Your Writing
- PECT PAPA Flashcards