About This Chapter
PECT PAPA: Data & Statistics - Chapter Summary
This chapter can help you study basic statistical analysis and how the results can be presented as part of your review for the PECT PAPA exam's mathematics module. Watch our expert instructors in this series of lesson videos to review:
- Calculations for measures of central tendency and range
- Types of frequency distributions
- Analyzing and making predictions for categorical data
- Using histograms, circle graphs, line graphs and tables
- Formulas used to find percentiles
After reviewing these lessons, take the quizzes that accompany them and then use the results to identify topics you don't fully understand. You can then use the video tags to return to the videos and improve your understanding of the material while skipping of the subjects you've already mastered. When you think you have a firm understanding of the material, make sure you are ready to move on and take the practice chapter exam to test your overall understanding of the material.
PECT PAPA: Data & Statistics Chapter Objectives
The PECT PAPA exam is used as part of the process for prospective teachers in the state of Pennsylvania to earn initial teaching certification. This exam is composed there modules, one of which will test your understanding of mathematical procedures, including the data and statistics covered in this chapter. Use this chapter to prepare the multiple-choice questions that test your statistical knowledge.
1. How to Calculate Mean, Median, Mode & Range
Measures of central tendency can provide valuable information about a set of data. In this lesson, explore how to calculate the mean, median, mode and range of any given data set.
2. What are Center, Shape, and Spread?
Center, shape, and spread are all words that describe what a particular graph looks like. Watch this video lesson to see how you can identify and explain each.
3. Statistical Analysis with Categorical Data
Learn why percentages are so important when analyzing categorical data in this video lesson. Watch as the data is turned into a data table and a visual bar graph as ways to analyze the data.
4. Make Estimates and Predictions from Categorical Data
Categorical data can be estimated but not predicted. Learn why in this video lesson along with how to read and gather information from a bar graph of categorical data.
5. What is a Histogram in Math? - Definition & Examples
Watch this video lesson to see how useful a histogram can be when you need to show a bunch of data in an easy to read format. Also, learn how you can easily gather the information you need from looking at a histogram.
6. Circle Graph: Definition & Examples
A circle graph is a circular chart divided into sections that each represent a percentage of the total. This lesson will define a circle graph and give some examples of types of circle graphs.
7. Reading and Interpreting Line Graphs
Watch this video lesson to find out how useful line graphs can be and how much information you can gain just from looking at one. Learn how you can apply that information in your own life to help you make better decisions.
8. Summarizing Categorical Data using Tables
Watch this video lesson to find out why data tables are an excellent way to summarize your categorical data. Learn what you need to do to your data before constructing a table and the two ways you can show your data.
9. Frequency Distributions: Definition & Types
This lesson explores the process of creating frequency distributions and histograms to give readers of your future scientific articles a numerical or visual way to understand the data you have presented.
10. Finding Percentiles in a Data Set: Formula & Examples
Percentiles are often used in academics to compare student scores. Finding percentiles in a data set can be a useful way to organize and compare numbers in a data set.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PECT PAPA: Practice & Study Guide course
- PECT PAPA: Meaning of Words & Phrases in Text
- PECT PAPA: Purpose, Main Idea & Organization of Texts
- PECT PAPA: Analyzing & Interpreting Texts
- PECT PAPA: Drawing Inferences from Texts
- PECT PAPA: Numbers & the Number System
- PECT PAPA: Whole Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Positive & Negative Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Integers
- PECT PAPA: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Decimals
- PECT PAPA: Percents
- PECT PAPA: Fractions
- PECT PAPA: Exponents
- PECT PAPA: Linear & Nonlinear Functions
- PECT PAPA: Inequalities
- PECT PAPA: Basic Measurement
- PECT PAPA: Geometric Concepts
- PECT PAPA: Measuring Geometric Figures
- PECT PAPA: Probability
- PECT PAPA: Problem Solving & Reasoning in Math
- PECT PAPA: Writing Structure
- PECT PAPA: Syntax, Grammar & Sentence Structure
- PECT PAPA: Spelling, Capitalization & Punctuation
- PECT PAPA: Writing Strategy
- PECT PAPA: Revising Your Writing
- PECT PAPA Flashcards