About This Chapter
PECT PAPA: Drawing Inferences from Texts - Chapter Summary
The video lessons in this chapter are designed to review methods for inferring intended meanings from texts. They also go over strategies for drawing conclusions as methods for understanding the mood and tone of a passage. Brushing up on these and other topics by watching this chapter's videos could prepare you for questions on the PECT PAPA examination. Your review of this chapter might assist you in:
- Defining and utilizing inference
- Describing the functions of tone and mood
- Explaining first, second and third point of view
- Drawing conclusions and recognizing the assumptions of an author
- Exploring the implications of reading passage ideas
Take a proactive approach to preparing for the PECT PAPA examination by studying these tutorial lessons. As you watch the instructor-narrated videos, you could become better able to draw inferences from texts and, thus, more prepared for these kinds of questions on the PECT PAPA examination. Each lesson is followed by a short multiple-choice quiz that gauges your knowledge. You can take these quizzes again if necessary or print them out for further review.
PECT PAPA: Drawing Inferences from Texts Chapter Objectives
This computer-based examination includes three modules: Reading, Mathematics and Writing. Your ability to make inferences from a variety of texts will be assessed in the 'Reading' module. There are 36 selected-response items in this module. You will have 45-minutes to complete the test.
1. What is Inference? - How to Infer Intended Meaning
In this lesson, we will define the terms inference and intended meaning. We will then discuss what steps to take when making inferences in literature.
2. Understanding Tone and Mood in a Reading Passage
In this lesson, we will define the literary terms tone and mood. We will then discuss how to identify each of them, as well as how to identify them in small reading passages.
3. Point of View: First, Second & Third Person
Just who is telling this story? In this lesson, we'll look at point of view, or the perspective from which a work is told. We'll review first person, second person and third person points of view.
4. Identifying an Author's Underlying Assumptions
Whenever a writer puts pen to paper, chances are that he or she is making a number of assumptions about the reader. This lesson focuses on some of those assumptions and how to identify them.
5. Drawing Conclusions from a Reading Selection
When someone drops hints, we're able to draw conclusions about what they're really trying to say. Similarly, as readers, we use clues to draw conclusions from texts. This lesson explains how to draw conclusions and how to teach this important skill.
6. Recognizing Implications of Ideas in a Reading Passage
How can recognizing implications in a reading passage help active readers? And how can readers recognize implications? In this lesson we'll look at how to recognize implications and the link between implications, inferences, and predictions in reading.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PECT PAPA: Practice & Study Guide course
- PECT PAPA: Meaning of Words & Phrases in Text
- PECT PAPA: Purpose, Main Idea & Organization of Texts
- PECT PAPA: Analyzing & Interpreting Texts
- PECT PAPA: Numbers & the Number System
- PECT PAPA: Whole Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Positive & Negative Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Integers
- PECT PAPA: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Decimals
- PECT PAPA: Percents
- PECT PAPA: Fractions
- PECT PAPA: Exponents
- PECT PAPA: Linear & Nonlinear Functions
- PECT PAPA: Inequalities
- PECT PAPA: Basic Measurement
- PECT PAPA: Geometric Concepts
- PECT PAPA: Measuring Geometric Figures
- PECT PAPA: Data & Statistics
- PECT PAPA: Probability
- PECT PAPA: Problem Solving & Reasoning in Math
- PECT PAPA: Writing Structure
- PECT PAPA: Syntax, Grammar & Sentence Structure
- PECT PAPA: Spelling, Capitalization & Punctuation
- PECT PAPA: Writing Strategy
- PECT PAPA: Revising Your Writing
- PECT PAPA Flashcards