About This Chapter
PECT PAPA: Exponents - Chapter Summary
This review chapter can help you improve your skills solving mathematical problems with exponents in order to help you effectively answer related exam questions. Start your review by watching this series of mobile device friendly lesson videos on:
- The five main properties of exponents
- Using exponential notation and scientific notation
- Exponents and the order of operations
- Multiplying and dividing exponential expressions
- Writing negative exponents and powers of fractions and decimals
These lessons are taught by our professional instructors who are also available to clarify any questions you may have about these topics. Take the lesson quizzes to test your understanding of the material and determine what topics you need to include in further studies. You can also use the video tags within the quiz results to return to the videos and improve your understanding of the material you don't know.
PECT PAPA: Exponents Chapter Objectives
The PECT Pre-service Academic Performance Assessment is taken by those seeking the initial certification to become a Pennsylvanian teacher. This computer-based exam includes three separate modules, and you may take these in one testing session or three. One of these modules has been put together to test your math skills and includes 36 multiple-choice questions administered in a 75-minute testing session. Some of these questions could test your skills solving mathematical problems with exponents.
1. What Are the Five Main Exponent Properties?
We'll look at the five important exponent properties and an example of each. You can think of them as the order of operations for exponents. Learn how to handle math problems with exponents here!
2. How to Use Exponential Notation
Exponential notation is a mathematical method for writing longer multiplication problems in a simplified manner. This lesson will define how to work with exponential notation and give some examples of how it is used.
3. Scientific Notation: Definition and Examples
Scientific notation is a special way of writing numbers so they are easier to work with. This lesson will define scientific notations and show some examples of how to convert numbers from standard notation to scientific notation and back.
4. Exponential Expressions & The Order of Operations
When performing mathematical operations, there is a specific order in which the operations should be performed. This includes when to simplify the exponents. This lesson will describe in what order exponents should be solved as you are performing mathematical operations.
5. Multiplying Exponential Expressions
There are certain rules that govern working with exponential expressions. This lesson deals with the rule for multiplying exponential expressions. It will describe the rule and give some examples of how it works.
6. Dividing Exponential Expressions
Any time you work with expressions that contain exponents, you have to follow a specific set of rules that are not the same as when you are working with expressions that do not contain exponents. This lesson will describe the rules associated with dividing terms that contain exponents.
7. Negative Exponents: Writing Powers of Fractions and Decimals
Most numbers can be written in different ways, either as a fraction, decimal or exponent. This lesson will teach you how to write fractions and decimals using exponents and how to convert between the two.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PECT PAPA: Practice & Study Guide course
- PECT PAPA: Meaning of Words & Phrases in Text
- PECT PAPA: Purpose, Main Idea & Organization of Texts
- PECT PAPA: Analyzing & Interpreting Texts
- PECT PAPA: Drawing Inferences from Texts
- PECT PAPA: Numbers & the Number System
- PECT PAPA: Whole Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Positive & Negative Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Integers
- PECT PAPA: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Decimals
- PECT PAPA: Percents
- PECT PAPA: Fractions
- PECT PAPA: Linear & Nonlinear Functions
- PECT PAPA: Inequalities
- PECT PAPA: Basic Measurement
- PECT PAPA: Geometric Concepts
- PECT PAPA: Measuring Geometric Figures
- PECT PAPA: Data & Statistics
- PECT PAPA: Probability
- PECT PAPA: Problem Solving & Reasoning in Math
- PECT PAPA: Writing Structure
- PECT PAPA: Syntax, Grammar & Sentence Structure
- PECT PAPA: Spelling, Capitalization & Punctuation
- PECT PAPA: Writing Strategy
- PECT PAPA: Revising Your Writing
- PECT PAPA Flashcards