About This Chapter
PECT PAPA: Fractions - Chapter Summary
These video lessons explore strategies that make it easier to solve problems with fractions. As you get ready for the PECT PAPA examination, you can review the rules for performing operations with mixed numbers, unlike fractions and complex fractions. Permit this chapter to help you with:
- Exploring different kinds of fractions
- Reducing and raising fractions, and ordering and comparing fractions
- Identifying least common denominators
- Switching between mixed numbers and improper fractions, and vice versa
- Adding and subtracting mixed numbers and like fractions as well as unlike fractions
- Dividing and multiplying mixed numbers and fractions
- Solving complex fractions
Complete with examples, quizzes and an ask-a-question feature, these lessons include everything you need to grow in knowledge and to prepare for some questions on the PECT PAPA examination. Self-paced and short, the video lessons are presented by seasoned educators who make the learning process fun. Use the video tags that highlight main topics, refer to the text transcripts and check out related courses by clicking the appropriate tab.
PECT PAPA: Fractions Chapter Objectives
When you sit for the PECT PAPA examination, you'll have to complete three modules: Reading, Mathematics and Writing. Your knowledge of fractions will be expressed during the Mathematics module. Apply what you remember from this chapter and your earlier schooling as you seek initial teaching certification in Pennsylvania. The Mathematics subarea of the computer-based examination consists of 36 selected-response questions, and it has a time limit of about 75 minutes. The Reading and Writing modules also have 36 selected-response questions and take up to 45 and 75 minutes for completion, respectively.
1. What is a Fraction? - Definition and Types
Fractions may be your friend's worst nightmare, but they don't have to be yours. Watch this video lesson to learn about fractions and how you can understand them easily. Also, learn to identify the different types of fractions.
2. How to Raise and Reduce Fractions
When working with fractions, you sometimes need to change your fraction to make it easier to work with. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can raise and reduce fractions to make your problem solving easier.
3. How to Find Least Common Denominators
Finding a Least Common Denominator is an important tool when working with fractions. To find least common denominators, we will use multiples of our numbers.
4. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
Comparing and ordering fractions is way to examine fractions that contain different-sized sets. In order to compare these fractions, you must find a common denominator and make equivalent fractions.
5. Changing Between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number Form
Improper fractions and mixed numbers are two different types of fractions. They both have different purposes when using fractions in a problem. In this lesson, you will learn how to convert between these two different forms.
6. How to Change Mixed Numbers to Improper Fractions
When it comes to fractions in algebra, we hardly ever use mixed numbers. Instead, we opt for the ease of use of improper fractions. Watch this video lesson to learn how to change your mixed numbers to improper fractions.
7. How to Add and Subtract Like Fractions and Mixed Numbers
When adding and subtracting fractions, you must be sure to have a common denominator. Once you have a common denominator, you just add or subtract your numerators and then your whole numbers. Learn how in this lesson.
8. How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Simple fraction arithmetic gets a little more complicated when our denominators don't match. In this lesson, we'll learn how to add and subtract unlike fractions. Then, we'll do the same with mixed numbers.
9. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
10. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
11. How to Solve Complex Fractions
Did you know fractions can nest within fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about complex fractions and look at two different methods for solving them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PECT PAPA: Practice & Study Guide course
- PECT PAPA: Meaning of Words & Phrases in Text
- PECT PAPA: Purpose, Main Idea & Organization of Texts
- PECT PAPA: Analyzing & Interpreting Texts
- PECT PAPA: Drawing Inferences from Texts
- PECT PAPA: Numbers & the Number System
- PECT PAPA: Whole Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Positive & Negative Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Integers
- PECT PAPA: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Decimals
- PECT PAPA: Percents
- PECT PAPA: Exponents
- PECT PAPA: Linear & Nonlinear Functions
- PECT PAPA: Inequalities
- PECT PAPA: Basic Measurement
- PECT PAPA: Geometric Concepts
- PECT PAPA: Measuring Geometric Figures
- PECT PAPA: Data & Statistics
- PECT PAPA: Probability
- PECT PAPA: Problem Solving & Reasoning in Math
- PECT PAPA: Writing Structure
- PECT PAPA: Syntax, Grammar & Sentence Structure
- PECT PAPA: Spelling, Capitalization & Punctuation
- PECT PAPA: Writing Strategy
- PECT PAPA: Revising Your Writing
- PECT PAPA Flashcards