About This Chapter
PECT PAPA: Measuring Geometric Figures - Chapter Summary
In this review for the Pennsylvania Education Certification Tests (PECT) Pre-service Academic Performance Assessment (PAPA) Mathematics subtest, you can study the formulas used to calculate the properties of different geometric figures. These lesson videos are taught by our professional instructors who explain the process used to find:
- Properties of two-dimensional shapes
- Area and circumference of a circle
- Surface area of three-dimensional forms
- Measures of angles in geometric figures
- Properties of right triangles
- Area and volume of spheres, prisms and cones
Using your computer or mobile device, you can watch these short lesson videos whenever you have some spare time. If you feel that you may benefit from an alternative review of the lessons, read the text transcripts that present the same material but in written overviews. Following these lessons, you can test your mastery of the material by completing the lesson quizzes.
PECT PAPA: Measuring Geometric Figures Chapter Objectives
The PECT PAPA exam is used by the state of Pennsylvania to assess future teachers' understanding of the material as part of the initial certification process. You'll have the option to take the three modules of this exam in one session or three. One of the three modules tests your knowledge of mathematics and includes 36 multiple-choice questions that you must complete in a 75-minute testing session. Use this chapter to prepare for some of these questions that may ask you about finding the properties of geometric figures.
1. What is Perimeter? - Definition & Formula
In mathematics, the perimeter is the distance around a two-dimensional shape. The formula for finding the perimeter of certain shapes will be discussed in this lesson, and there will be some examples to help you understand how to calculate the perimeter.
2. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. In this lesson, learn how to find the area and circumference of circles by working through several examples.
3. What is Surface Area? - Definition & Formulas
In this lesson, you use general and specific formulas to learn how to find the surface area of three-dimensional shapes, such as cubes, prisms, spheres, cones and cylinders.
4. Measuring Angles of Two- & Three-Dimensional Figures
Both two-dimensional and three-dimensional figures contain angles. In this lesson, we'll investigate the tools we need to measure these angles through some practice problems.
5. How to Measure the Angles of a Polygon & Find the Sum
Watch this video lesson to learn the one formula that lets you find the measure of angles in any regular polygon. Also, learn how you can tell if you are working with a regular polygon or not.
6. Pythagorean Theorem: Definition & Example
Learn what the Pythagorean Theorem says about a right triangle and the relationships of its three sides to each other by watching this video lesson. Also learn how you can use this to your advantage when solving problems.
7. Area of Triangles and Rectangles
How do you find out the area of rectangles and triangles? Learn how in this lesson! We'll look at the formulas, then practice solving problems for each shape.
8. Measuring the Area of a Trapezoid
In this video lesson, you will watch and learn how you can find the area of trapezoid. Learn what measurements you need to have on hand as well as the formula that you need to use.
9. Volume & Surface Area of a Sphere
Watch this video lesson to learn how to find the volume and surface area of a sphere. Learn the formulas and measurements you need to solve problems and discover how to identify spheres in the real world.
10. Prisms: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson and you will see that there are different kinds of prisms. You will also learn how to separate a prism into its various parts so you can easily find the surface area. You will also learn the formula for the volume.
11. Cones: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn where in the real world you will see cones. Also, you will learn the formulas for finding the surface area and volume of these cones.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PECT PAPA: Practice & Study Guide course
- PECT PAPA: Meaning of Words & Phrases in Text
- PECT PAPA: Purpose, Main Idea & Organization of Texts
- PECT PAPA: Analyzing & Interpreting Texts
- PECT PAPA: Drawing Inferences from Texts
- PECT PAPA: Numbers & the Number System
- PECT PAPA: Whole Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Positive & Negative Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Integers
- PECT PAPA: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Decimals
- PECT PAPA: Percents
- PECT PAPA: Fractions
- PECT PAPA: Exponents
- PECT PAPA: Linear & Nonlinear Functions
- PECT PAPA: Inequalities
- PECT PAPA: Basic Measurement
- PECT PAPA: Geometric Concepts
- PECT PAPA: Data & Statistics
- PECT PAPA: Probability
- PECT PAPA: Problem Solving & Reasoning in Math
- PECT PAPA: Writing Structure
- PECT PAPA: Syntax, Grammar & Sentence Structure
- PECT PAPA: Spelling, Capitalization & Punctuation
- PECT PAPA: Writing Strategy
- PECT PAPA: Revising Your Writing
- PECT PAPA Flashcards