About This Chapter
PECT PAPA: Numbers & the Number System - Chapter Summary
These short, engaging video lessons have been put together to help you review the properties of numbers and the ways used to assess and represent the differences between their values. In these lessons, our professional instructors can help you review these topics while preparing for related questions on the Pennsylvania Education Certification Tests (PECT) Pre-service Academic Performance Assessment (PAPA) about:
- Properties of real numbers
- Using number lines to compare values and find differences
- Relative magnitude of numbers
If you think you would benefit from an alternative review of these lessons, be sure to read the lesson transcripts. These transcripts also help you identify the key vocabulary terms. After your review of these lessons, be sure to take the quizzes that accompany them to test your mastery of the material presented. The results from these assessments can help you find topics you didn't master and include video tags that will take you to the locations of the lessons that discussed these topics for further review.
PECT PAPA: Numbers & the Number System Chapter Objectives
Prospective teachers in the state of Pennsylvania take the PECT PAPA exam as part of the initial certification process. Taking this computer-based certification exam involves completing three testing modules. One of these modules will test your mathematics skills and consists of 36 multiple-choice questions. This module can be completed in a 75-minute testing session or with the other two modules in a 240-minute testing session. This chapter will help you prepare for questions in the mathematics module that may assess your knowledge of real numbers and number operations.
1. What are Real Numbers? - Definition & Properties
There are many definitions of real numbers, but they all lead to the same conclusion. Real numbers are numbers that have a measurable value. Learn more about real numbers with some examples and a quiz to test your knowledge.
2. What Is a Number Line?
A number line is a visual representation of all real numbers. In this lesson, we'll learn how to identify points on a number line. We'll also practice addition and subtraction, letting the number line do all the hard work.
3. Using the Number Line to Compare Decimals, Fractions, and Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how useful the number line can be when you need to compare two different numbers, be they whole numbers, decimals or even fractions. Learn how to plot these numbers on the number line so you can compare them.
4. Relative Magnitude of Numbers: Definition & Examples
Read this lesson to learn how you can go about deciding whether one particular number is greater or lesser than another. Also in this lesson, you'll see how negative numbers seem to go contrary to what you would expect.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PECT PAPA: Practice & Study Guide course
- PECT PAPA: Meaning of Words & Phrases in Text
- PECT PAPA: Purpose, Main Idea & Organization of Texts
- PECT PAPA: Analyzing & Interpreting Texts
- PECT PAPA: Drawing Inferences from Texts
- PECT PAPA: Whole Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Positive & Negative Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Integers
- PECT PAPA: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Decimals
- PECT PAPA: Percents
- PECT PAPA: Fractions
- PECT PAPA: Exponents
- PECT PAPA: Linear & Nonlinear Functions
- PECT PAPA: Inequalities
- PECT PAPA: Basic Measurement
- PECT PAPA: Geometric Concepts
- PECT PAPA: Measuring Geometric Figures
- PECT PAPA: Data & Statistics
- PECT PAPA: Probability
- PECT PAPA: Problem Solving & Reasoning in Math
- PECT PAPA: Writing Structure
- PECT PAPA: Syntax, Grammar & Sentence Structure
- PECT PAPA: Spelling, Capitalization & Punctuation
- PECT PAPA: Writing Strategy
- PECT PAPA: Revising Your Writing
- PECT PAPA Flashcards