About This Chapter
PECT PAPA: Purpose, Main Idea & Organization of Texts - Chapter Summary
This chapter will help you review the purpose, main idea and organizational structure in written texts and make sure you are ready for questions on the PECT Pre-Service Academic Performance Assessment exam. The resources in this study guide can help you develop and structure your written response as well as answer questions on the following topics:
- Author's intended purpose
- Using supporting details to develop a main point
- Identifying relationships between specific and general ideas
- Organizational patterns used in writing
- Characteristics and components of summaries
- Arranging ideas in an outline
Review topics you may have grown rusty on with these engaging video lessons. Each lesson is about five minutes long and comes with a full video transcript. Test your knowledge with self-assessment quizzes and a chapter exam.
PECT PAPA: Purpose, Main Idea & Organization of Texts Chapter Objectives
The PECT PAPA is part of the certification process for undergraduate students looking to obtain educator preparation certificates in the state of Pennsylvania. The test will measure your reading, writing and math skills. The lessons in this chapter are designed to help you answer the questions about purpose, main idea and organization on the reading portion of the exam, which consists of 36 selected-response questions. These lessons can also assist you in the writing portion of the exam, which includes two sentence-correction assignments, one constructed-response assignment and 36 selected-response questions.
1. Author's Purpose: Definition & Examples
This lesson explains the purpose behind various types of writing. In addition, author's purpose is defined using examples to illustrate the explanations.
2. How to Explain the Main Point through Supporting Details
In this lesson, you'll learn how to identify the supporting details that explain the main idea being presented in a piece of literature. You will also learn different strategies that can be applied to future questions about the main idea.
3. How to Identify Relationships Between General & Specific Ideas
In this lesson, we will learn how to tell the difference between general and specific ideas. We will also explore the relationships between these ideas and practice identifying the ideas and their relationships.
4. Organizational Patterns for Writing: Purpose and Types
Ever read a piece of writing and simply not understand the message? Knowing the structure of the writing will often help you understand it. Watch this video lesson to learn about structure of writing.
5. Identifying the Organization in a Reading Selection
Nonfiction texts can be organized in a variety of ways. In this lesson, we'll discuss how to identify which organizational structure is being used in a reading selection.
6. What is a Summary? - Definition & Concept
In this lesson you'll learn what summaries are and how they differ from other forms of condensed writing. You'll also be shown an example of a summary, and what should and should not be included in a summary paragraph.
7. How to Arrange Ideas in a Reading Selection in an Outline
Organizing ideas presented in a reading selection can seem like a tricky task. But, in this lesson, we'll discuss how to do this effectively and why it is an important skill to master.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PECT PAPA: Practice & Study Guide course
- PECT PAPA: Meaning of Words & Phrases in Text
- PECT PAPA: Analyzing & Interpreting Texts
- PECT PAPA: Drawing Inferences from Texts
- PECT PAPA: Numbers & the Number System
- PECT PAPA: Whole Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Positive & Negative Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Integers
- PECT PAPA: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Decimals
- PECT PAPA: Percents
- PECT PAPA: Fractions
- PECT PAPA: Exponents
- PECT PAPA: Linear & Nonlinear Functions
- PECT PAPA: Inequalities
- PECT PAPA: Basic Measurement
- PECT PAPA: Geometric Concepts
- PECT PAPA: Measuring Geometric Figures
- PECT PAPA: Data & Statistics
- PECT PAPA: Probability
- PECT PAPA: Problem Solving & Reasoning in Math
- PECT PAPA: Writing Structure
- PECT PAPA: Syntax, Grammar & Sentence Structure
- PECT PAPA: Spelling, Capitalization & Punctuation
- PECT PAPA: Writing Strategy
- PECT PAPA: Revising Your Writing
- PECT PAPA Flashcards