About This Chapter
PECT PAPA: Rational & Irrational Numbers - Chapter Summary
This chapter includes a series of lesson videos and assessments meant to help you study for math questions on the Pennsylvania Education Certification Tests (PECT) Pre-service Academic Performance Assessment (PAPA) exam about working with rational and irrational numbers. The lessons in the chapter are mobile device friendly and taught by our professional instructors so that you have a versatile and effective way of studying:
- How to compare and order rational numbers
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division with rational numbers
- Uses and examples of irrational numbers
After you complete a lesson, take the quiz that accompanies it to test your understanding of the material covered and determine what topics you need to re-study. Use the video tags to return to the spots of the lessons that discuss any topics you don't understand to improve your understanding of them. Alternatively, read over the lesson transcripts for a written overview of the lessons that highlights in bold the key terms and figures of the chapter.
PECT PAPA: Rational & Irrational Numbers Chapter Objectives
The PECT PAPA is a computer-based certification exam used to assess future Pennsylvanian teachers' competencies before they are certified. You have an option to take the three modules of this exam in one testing sessions or separately in three testing session. One of these modules will assess your understanding of mathematics. This module is composed 36 multiple-choice questions and is administered in a 75-minute testing session. Completing the lessons and quizzes of this chapter allows you to study for potential questions on rational and irrational numbers.
1. Comparing & Ordering Rational Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to look at any rational number and compare it with any other rational number. Learn what you need to do so that you know which number is greater or lesser than another.
2. Adding & Subtracting Rational Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to add and subtract rational numbers like a pro. Learn what is involved in adding and subtracting these types of numbers.
3. Multiplying & Dividing Rational Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will know how to multiply and divide rational numbers. You will know when you need to flip your number and when you don't.
4. What are Irrational Numbers? - Definition & Examples
Irrational numbers may not be crazy, but they do sometimes bend our minds a little. Learn about common irrational numbers, like the square root of 2 and pi, as well as a few others that businessmen, artists, and scientists find useful.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PECT PAPA: Practice & Study Guide course
- PECT PAPA: Meaning of Words & Phrases in Text
- PECT PAPA: Purpose, Main Idea & Organization of Texts
- PECT PAPA: Analyzing & Interpreting Texts
- PECT PAPA: Drawing Inferences from Texts
- PECT PAPA: Numbers & the Number System
- PECT PAPA: Whole Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Positive & Negative Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Integers
- PECT PAPA: Decimals
- PECT PAPA: Percents
- PECT PAPA: Fractions
- PECT PAPA: Exponents
- PECT PAPA: Linear & Nonlinear Functions
- PECT PAPA: Inequalities
- PECT PAPA: Basic Measurement
- PECT PAPA: Geometric Concepts
- PECT PAPA: Measuring Geometric Figures
- PECT PAPA: Data & Statistics
- PECT PAPA: Probability
- PECT PAPA: Problem Solving & Reasoning in Math
- PECT PAPA: Writing Structure
- PECT PAPA: Syntax, Grammar & Sentence Structure
- PECT PAPA: Spelling, Capitalization & Punctuation
- PECT PAPA: Writing Strategy
- PECT PAPA: Revising Your Writing
- PECT PAPA Flashcards