About This Chapter
PECT PAPA: Writing Structure - Chapter Summary
Get the comprehensive overview of writing structure you need to strengthen your preparations for the PECT PAPA exam. After reviewing the lessons in this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Describe the basic essay structure and essay introduction
- Understand main idea, thesis statement and topic sentences in writing
- Detail how to write a thesis statement and strong essay body
- Explain how to structure paragraphs in an essay
- Identify tips and tricks for structuring paragraphs and sentences
- Write strong transitions, transitional sentences and effective conclusions
- Share how to structure an argument in your essay
Watch the lessons in any sequence and rewatch them as often as necessary to ensure you fully comprehend writing structure. The videos offer detailed instruction and are presented in an entertaining visual package that makes learning fun.
Objectives of PECT PAPA: Writing Structure Chapter
Use this writing structure chapter to study for the writing module of the PECT PAPA. The exam is designed to test undergraduate candidates seeking initial certification in the state of Pennsylvania and is divided into reading, writing and math sections. Expect to see 36 selected-response questions, two sentence correction assignments and one constructed-response task on the writing module. It is taken on computer and is 75 minutes in length.
You can use a variety of resources in this chapter, including full transcripts of the lessons with easily identifiable vocabulary words and timelines that allow you to skip to specific topics within the videos. Short lesson quizzes assess your comprehension of the materials. Any questions you have can be submitted to expert tutors and coaches.
1. Basic Essay Structure: The Five-Paragraph Essay
Working with an established essay structure provides writers with the necessary elements of a successful essay. In this lesson, we'll work through the drafting process for the five-paragraph essay and make note of important dos and don'ts.
2. Essay Introduction: Write a Thesis and Capture Your Audience
We'll look at the importance of the introductory paragraph and engaging your audience through the use of attention getters, a bridge, and an arguable thesis. Three of the most common attention getters are specifically defined, and examples are provided in this lesson.
3. Writing: Main Idea, Thesis Statement & Topic Sentences
What exactly is your essay about? Writing great thesis statements and topic sentences that align with your main idea will help readers to understand the theme, ideas, and central focus of your essay.
4. How to Write a Thesis Statement
Find yourself confounded by thesis statements? Writing an excellent thesis statement doesn't require magic or luck, but it does require a few key elements we'll lay out for you in the lesson that follows.
5. How to Write a Strong Essay Body
This video will show you how to achieve unified, coherent body paragraphs in your essays. By creating well-developed body paragraphs, your essays will be cleaner, sharper and earn you a better grade!
6. How to Structure Paragraphs in an Essay
When structuring a paragraph, you shouldn't just go throwing together a few sentences. The sentences that make up a paragraph should all flow together and represent the same topic to make up a strong paragraph. This video explains how to put together your sentences and paragraphs to maximize their impact.
7. Structuring Paragraphs and Sentences: Tips and Tricks
Once you've developed an outline, it's time to begin drafting your essay. This lesson will walk you through the steps of putting together a body paragraph and show you how to ensure that your paragraphs are unified, coherent and well-developed.
8. How to Write Strong Transitions and Transitional Sentences
Transitions are the words and sentences that tie a work of writing together. They guide the reader from idea to idea, making connections that turns pieces into a whole. Find out more in this lesson.
9. How To Write Effective Conclusions: Importance and Elements
Follow this easy method to write a wonderful conclusion to your paper. Here you will find everything you need, including some most excellent writing tips!
10. How to Structure an Argument in Your Essay
When you write a persuasive essay, it's important to think about how you'll construct your argument, from how you'll arrange your major points to how and where you'll refute opposing views. This video covers some of the basics for structuring an argument.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PECT PAPA: Practice & Study Guide course
- PECT PAPA: Meaning of Words & Phrases in Text
- PECT PAPA: Purpose, Main Idea & Organization of Texts
- PECT PAPA: Analyzing & Interpreting Texts
- PECT PAPA: Drawing Inferences from Texts
- PECT PAPA: Numbers & the Number System
- PECT PAPA: Whole Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Positive & Negative Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Integers
- PECT PAPA: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- PECT PAPA: Decimals
- PECT PAPA: Percents
- PECT PAPA: Fractions
- PECT PAPA: Exponents
- PECT PAPA: Linear & Nonlinear Functions
- PECT PAPA: Inequalities
- PECT PAPA: Basic Measurement
- PECT PAPA: Geometric Concepts
- PECT PAPA: Measuring Geometric Figures
- PECT PAPA: Data & Statistics
- PECT PAPA: Probability
- PECT PAPA: Problem Solving & Reasoning in Math
- PECT PAPA: Syntax, Grammar & Sentence Structure
- PECT PAPA: Spelling, Capitalization & Punctuation
- PECT PAPA: Writing Strategy
- PECT PAPA: Revising Your Writing
- PECT PAPA Flashcards