About This Chapter
Pedigrees & Genetic Inheritence - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter look at topics related to genetics and inheritance analysis, including how Punnett squares are used and what complementation tests are. You'll learn about issues surrounding genetic testing and see how genetics can influence development. After finishing these lessons, you should be comfortable doing the following:
- Identifying inheritance patterns found in pedigree analysis
- Giving an example of a monohybrid cross
- Defining a Punnett Square
- Reviewing the different types of complementation tests
- Recalling the role of single gene-pair inheritance
- Discovering the concepts behind genetic crossing over
- Explaining what genetic tests are, how they work and the ethical concerns of these tests
We have instructors who are knowledgeable and experts in the field of biology. If you find yourself really struggling to retain the lesson material, you can ask our instructors for help through our Dashboard feature. The Dashboard also offers a good way to keep your studies organized, helping you keep up with the lessons completed.
1. Pedigree Analysis in Human Genetics: Tutorial
One of the oldest genetic techniques is pedigree analysis, and yet it is still used every day all around the world by doctors, geneticists, and genetic counselors. Building and reading a pedigree is actually fairly easy if you know what the symbols mean. In fact, it's so easy that you can learn how to do it in less than ten minutes if you watch this video!
2. Pedigree Analysis in Human Genetics: Inheritance Patterns
So you've learned what a pedigree is and how to read or even create one. Now you're ready to learn how to analyze a pedigree and figure out what kind of inheritance pattern a genetic condition follows!
3. Monohybrid Cross: Definition & Example
Some genetic characteristics are inherited in predictable patterns. In this lesson you will learn what monohybrids are and how to predict the kinds of characteristics that their offspring will show.
4. Punnett Square: Definition & Example
This lesson will define what a Punnett square is and show several examples of how one can be used. It will also briefly describe patterns of inheritance.
5. Complementation Tests: Alleles, Crosses & Loci
Don't judge an organism by its phenotype; sometimes, two organisms will have the same phenotype but completely different genotypes. In this lesson, we'll learn how a complementation test can identify if mutations occurred within the same gene or different genes.
6. The Influence of Single Gene-Pair Inheritance on Development
What is single gene-pair inheritance? What influence does it have on human development? Learn the answers to these questions as we explore this area of genetic inheritance in this video lesson.
7. The Influence of Sex-Linked and Polygenic Inheritance on Development
What is sex-linked inheritance? What influence does it have on human development? What does it mean if a trait is polygenic? Learn the answers to these questions as this lesson explores this area of genetic inheritance.
8. Genetic Crossing Over: Definition & Concept
Crossing over of genes is a big factor in the genetic diversity of living things. Here we will define the process of crossing over, and further explore the mechanism behind it.
9. How Prenatal and Postnatal Genetic Testing Works
Have you ever wondered why pregnant women have so many doctor visits and need so many tests done? Learn more about how prenatal and postnatal genetic testing works and test your knowledge with a quiz.
10. Genetic Testing & Screening: Social & Ethical Considerations
In this lesson, we'll explore the big issue of genetic testing and screening. Let's take a look how it can change a person's life and affect the lives of those close to them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the VCE Biology: Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- Developing a Scientific Investigation
- Ethical Considerations in Scientific Investigations
- Collecting Scientific Data
- Processing Experimental Results
- Communicating Scientific Ideas
- Cell Size, Structure & Function
- The Cell Membrane
- Stages of the Cell Cycle
- Cell Growth & Differentiation
- Energy Transformations in Living Things
- Functioning Systems of Living Things
- Adaptation & Regulation in Living Things
- Understanding Biodiversity
- Ecosystem Relationships & Populations
- Asexual & Sexual Reproduction
- Genomes, Genes & Alleles
- Chromosomes & Chromosome Disorders
- Genotypes & Phenotypes
- Cellular Membranes & Structures
- Nucleic Acids & Proteins
- Gene Structure & Regulation
- Understanding Enzymes
- Photosynthesis Overview
- Cellular Respiration Overview
- Cellular Signals
- Antigens & Immune Response
- Immunity & the Immune System
- Genetics & Populations
- Biodiversity Over Time
- Relatedness Between Species
- Human Evolution
- DNA Manipulation
- Biological Knowledge & Society
- VCE Biology Flashcards