About This Chapter
Peer & Romantic Relationships for Students & Teens - Chapter Summary
Students and teens face a tremendous amount of pressure from their peers to take part in activities the might be unhealthy or even dangerous. Review the lessons in this chapter to learn more about the impact of peer and romantic relationships on students and teens. Learn from top instructors about healthy and unhealthy relationships, types of peer pressure and much more. Get additional information about these topics by submitting questions to our experts. When ready, assess your knowledge by taking short lesson quizzes and a chapter exam. Upon completion of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Identify the characteristics, development and maintenance of successful relationships
- Discuss characteristics of unhealthy relationships
- Define and explain basics of peer pressure
- Explain the meaning and effects of cliques
- List and describe healthy communication skills for romantic relationships
- Describe sexting, and discuss its consequences
1. Successful Relationships: Characteristics, Development & Maintenance
Be it work, friends, or family, making a relationship work is hard. Creating a solid relationship isn't much easier. This lesson will point out the characteristics of solid relationships and some advice for developing and maintaining them.
2. Characteristics of Unhealthy Relationships
Our lives are shaped by our relationships. We interact with so many people, and it's important that these interactions are positive and healthy. In this lesson you'll learn how to spot an unhealthy relationship, no matter what type of relationship it is.
3. What is Peer Pressure? - Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, you'll learn who your peers are and how they can pressure you into actions that you wouldn't normally do -- peer pressure. We'll cover types of peer pressure and who is most likely to experience it.
4. What Are Cliques? - Definition & Effects
In this lesson, we will learn about some of the cliques that typically appear on middle and high school campuses. We will examine some of the problems associated with being part of a clique or feeling left out of one.
5. Healthy Communication Skills for Romantic Relationships
Communication is very important to a healthy romantic relationship and something we must actively work to improve. In this lesson, explore healthy communication skills and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
6. What is Sexting? - Definition & Consequences
In this lesson, we will discuss sexting among minors as sharing sexual images and text. We will also look at some of the legal and personal consequences for engaging or participating in this behavior.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.