About This Chapter
Who's it for?
This unit of our High School Algebra I Homeschool course will benefit any student who is trying to learn about percent notation. There is no faster or easier way to learn about algebra. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who require an efficient, self-paced course of study to learn to change from decimals to fractions.
- Homeschool parents looking to spend less time preparing lessons and more time teaching.
- Homeschool parents who need an algebra curriculum that appeals to multiple learning types (visual or auditory).
- Gifted students and students with learning differences.
How it works:
- Students watch a short, fun video lesson that covers a specific unit topic.
- Students and parents can refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Short quizzes and a percent notation unit exam confirm understanding or identify any topics that require review.
Percent Notation Unit Objectives:
- Give the definition of a percent.
- Identify the whole, part or percent portion of word problems.
- Convert between fractional notation and percent notation.
1. What is a Percent? - Definition & Examples
Thinking in terms of pizza is an excellent way to think about percentages. Learn how it can help you understand percentages in this video lesson. You will also learn about the uses of percentages in the real world.
2. Converting from Percent Notation to Decimal Notation
Knowing how to convert a percent to a decimal can be a useful skill in many different situations. This lesson will show you how to perform that conversion and places where this skill will be helpful.
3. Converting Percent Notation to Fraction Notation
The process of converting percents to fractions is quite easy if you know where to start. This lesson will show you how to perform the conversion and give some real-world examples.
4. Changing Between Decimals and Percents
Watch as we go on a rollercoaster ride in changing from a decimal to percent and then back again. Learn to master this technique so you can get as fast as a rollercoaster going downhill on tests and quizzes when you have to convert between the two.
5. Changing Between Decimals and Fractions
In this video lesson, you will learn about the usefulness of knowing how to change quickly between decimals and fractions. You will also learn how changing from a decimal to a fraction is different than changing from a fraction to a decimal.
6. Converting Fractions to Percents
There are times when it is important to know how to convert a fraction to a percent. Fortunately, the steps to perform this conversion are not difficult. This lesson will show you those steps and give some examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Algebra I: Homeschool Curriculum course
- Basic Arithmetic Review: Homeschool Curriculum
- Solving Math Word Problems: Homeschool Curriculum
- Decimals & Fractions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Working with Real Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Exponents & Exponential Expressions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Simplifying Square Roots: Homeschool Curriculum
- Algebraic Expressions & Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Composing Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Matrices & Absolute Value: Homeschool Curriculum
- Working With Inequalities: Homeschool Curriculum
- Properties of Exponents: Homeschool Curriculum
- Imaginary Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Algebraic Distribution: Homeschool Curriculum
- Writing Linear Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Factoring in Algebra: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graphing & Factoring Quadratic Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Properties of Polynomial Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Rational Expressions & Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Cubic Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Solving Quadratics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Measurement & Geometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Percent & Proportions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Data, Statistics & Probability: Homeschool Curriculum
- Well-Known Equations: Homeschool Curriculum