About This Chapter
Performing Arts Overview - Chapter Summary
Use this overview of performing arts to learn about various aspects of these forms of expression. By reviewing the video and text lessons in this chapter, you can boost your knowledge of acting, dance, music and other performing arts. All lessons are brief, ensuring you have no trouble reviewing these concepts when your busy schedule allows. At the end of this chapter, you will be prepared for the following:
- Demonstrating an ability to read a performance similarly to reading a book
- Defining and identifying rules and techniques of improvisation in music
- Listing and defining ballet key concepts and terminology
- Identifying the top contemporary U.S. dancers in the 20th century
- Sharing approaches to dramatic acting that can help improve public speaking skills
- Describing the principles of theatrical design
Lessons in this chapter are accessible from any computer, smartphone or tablet and can be reviewed in any sequence you desire. Revisit them as often as needed to ensure you have a good grasp of this overview of performing arts. Test your understanding of the lessons by taking short multiple-choice quizzes and a chapter exam. Any questions you have about this chapter's topics can be submitted to our experts.
1. Understanding Performance Art: Finding the Thesis, Narrative & Meaning
Learn how to 'read' a performance the same way you would read a book or story. In this lesson, we'll discuss strategies for identifying thesis, narrative, and meaning in the performing arts.
2. Improvisation in Music: Definition, Rules & Techniques
A quintessential component of many contemporary musical genres, this lesson will examine the rules and techniques for improvisation in music. Afterward, test your knowledge with a short quiz.
3. Ballet Dance Terminology and Key Concepts
The fact that most ballet terms are in French can make them seem intimidating, but they're more accessible than you might think. Learn some of the key terms used in ballet dance.
4. Contemporary Dance and Dancers in the United States
Contemporary dance in America is like nothing that came before it. Learn about the dancers and choreographers who shaped this art form in the 20th century and made it uniquely American.
5. Approaches to Dramatic Acting
Public speaking is something that terrifies many people, but some of the greatest public speakers got that way by thinking of speaking as a performance. In this lesson, we'll look at some approaches to acting that can help improve public speaking.
6. Principles of Theatrical Design
If you've ever been to the theater, you know it's about much more than just the acting on stage. The set design, costumes, lighting, and sound all go a great distance in making the show. In this lesson, we look at those principles of theatrical design.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE CST Multi-Subject - Teachers of Middle Childhood (231/232/245): Practice & Study Guide course
- Language & Literacy Development
- Foundations of Teaching English Language Arts
- Strategies for Vocabulary Instruction
- Language Knowledge & Vocabulary
- Teaching Text Complexity & Comprehension
- Literary Devices & Meaning
- Evaluating Informational Texts
- Writing & Research Instruction
- Promoting Literacy Through Listening
- Language Arts Assessments in Early Childhood
- Rational & Real Number Systems
- Numbers & Operations
- Ratios & Proportional Number Relationships
- Algebra Foundations
- Algebra Functions & Graphs
- Geometry & Measurement
- Solving Geometry Problems
- Data, Statistics & Graphs
- Math Instruction & Assessment
- Scientific Inquiry & Investigation
- Physical Science Basics
- Scientific Concepts for the Living Environment
- Science Modeling & Technology
- Major U.S. Historical Eras
- Role of New York in Shaping the U.S.
- Geography, Population & Climate
- Human Population Distribution Patterns
- Relationship Between Economics, Government & Politics
- Rights & Responsibilities of Citizenship in the U.S.
- Social Studies Research Skills
- Visual Arts Techniques
- Musical Arts Basics
- Health, Safety & Community Awareness
- Physical Development & Activities in Early Childhood
- Childhood Development
- Consumer Economics & Personal Resource Management
- Career Development Resources
- NYSTCE CST Multi-Subject - Teachers of Middle Childhood Flashcards