About This Chapter
Performing Basic Arithmetic - Chapter Summary
Use the short and fun video lessons in this chapter to review basic arithmetic. Our professional instructors discuss binary and non-binary operations, important math properties and the types of numbers. You'll also go over the rules for performing math operations as well as finding the greatest common factor and least common multiple. Once you study the chapter's videos, you should be able to:
- Give examples of binary and non-binary operations
- List the steps to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Multiply and divide large numbers
- Perform math operations with signed numbers
- Explain the commutative and associative properties
- Understand the multiplication property of zero
- Recognize the rules for using parentheses in math
- Identify the types of numbers
- Use the order of operations to solve math expressions
Our entertaining video lessons make improving math skills a convenient process. The videos contain example problems and graphics that are explained step-by-step by our instructors. Along with the videos, our lessons include transcripts that highlight major terms. We also offer a multiple-choice quiz with each lesson so that you can check your understanding of the material.
1. Binary and Non-Binary Operations
Binary and non-binary are two terms that might really scare you, much like an operation may scare you. But don't worry, this lesson is super fun and super easy. You'll learn the definitions of these terms and see examples of each.
2. How to Perform Addition: Steps & Examples
Addition is one of the basic operations of math. You can say that the whole of mathematics is based on addition. Without addition, we wouldn't have higher math. Watch this video to learn how to add.
3. How to Perform Subtraction: Steps & Examples
Subtraction is one of the basic operations in math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can view and understand subtraction so that you can easily perform it.
4. How to Perform Multiplication: Steps & Examples
Multiplication, one of the basic operations of math, is important not just in elementary math but also in higher math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can multiply with ease.
5. How to Multiply Large Numbers: Steps and Examples
After watching this video lesson you will be able to multiply any two numbers together. You will learn how to use your knowledge of multiplying smaller numbers together to multiply larger numbers with ease.
6. How to Perform Division: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can divide. Division is one of the basic operations of math. It is one of the fundamental operations that all higher mathematics depends upon.
7. Performing Long Division with Large Numbers: Steps and Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to divide larger numbers. You'll learn an easy to follow procedure that you can use to divide any two numbers.
8. Arithmetic Calculations with Signed Numbers
Signed numbers are often referred to as integers. Integers include both positive and negative numbers. In this lesson, you will learn how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide integers.
9. The Commutative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three major properties that deal with the addition and multiplication of numbers. One of those properties is the commutative property. This lesson will define and give examples of the commutative property and how it works.
10. The Associative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three basic number properties that help to form the backbone of algebra. One of those properties is the associative property. This lesson will define the associative property and give some examples of how it works.
11. The Multiplication Property of Zero: Definition & Examples
The number zero has different rules than other numbers; it behaves according to it's own unique properties. This lesson will define the multiplication property of zero and give some examples of how it works.
12. How to Find the Greatest Common Factor
If the factors of a number are the different numbers that you can multiply together to get that original number, then the greatest common factor of two numbers is just the biggest one that both have in common. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
13. How to Find the Least Common Multiple
The least common multiple of two numbers is the smallest number that can be divided evenly by your two original numbers. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
14. Parentheses in Math: Rules & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how parentheses are used in math. Learn how to read them as multiplication and how they let you know which numbers to work with first.
15. Algebra Vocabulary Terms
Watch this video lesson to learn about some basic vocabulary words that you will come across again and again in the course of your studies in algebra. After you finish this video, you should know and be able to identify each term.
16. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
17. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Accuplacer Elementary Algebra Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- Computation with Integers
- Negative Numbers
- Absolute Value
- Solving & Graphing Rational Numbers
- Operations with Monomials and Polynomials
- Rational Roots
- Working with Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- Simplifying Algebraic Fractions
- Factoring in Algebra
- Solving & Graphing Linear Equations
- Overview of Inequalities
- Quadratic Equations
- Number Line & the Coordinate Graph
- Algebraic Word Problems
- Fundamental Algebraic Expressions
- Algebraic Distribution
- Writing Algebraic Expressions
- Writing & Solving One-Step Equations
- Writing & Solving Multi-Step Equations