About This Chapter
Performing Operations with Exponents - Chapter Summary
This chapter and its lessons cover important information about performing operations with exponents. Knowing this material will be useful in solving these specific math problems. By the end of this chapter, you should be familiar with the following:
- Ways to simplify and solve expressions with exponents
- How exponents fit into the order of operations
- Rules on multiplying and dividing problems with exponents
- Ways to work with fractional powers
- Converting between fractions and decimals
Our instructors have created lessons that take about 5 minutes to read or watch. The video lessons come with a timeline feature that provides links so you can skip around the video, allowing you to review only the topics that you want to review. The text lessons have major vocabulary words and phrases in bold to emphasize the critical aspects. Short self-assessment quizzes included with each lesson let you test your knowledge.
1. Simplifying and Solving Exponential Expressions
What do we do with an exponent? In this lesson, we'll learn how to simplify and solve expressions containing exponents. We'll solve a variety of types of exponential expressions.
2. Exponential Expressions & The Order of Operations
When performing mathematical operations, there is a specific order in which the operations should be performed. This includes when to simplify the exponents. This lesson will describe in what order exponents should be solved as you are performing mathematical operations.
3. Multiplying Exponential Expressions
There are certain rules that govern working with exponential expressions. This lesson deals with the rule for multiplying exponential expressions. It will describe the rule and give some examples of how it works.
4. Dividing Exponential Expressions
Any time you work with expressions that contain exponents, you have to follow a specific set of rules that are not the same as when you are working with expressions that do not contain exponents. This lesson will describe the rules associated with dividing terms that contain exponents.
5. Working With Fractional Powers
If you know what to do with 3 to the second power, then you understand exponents. But what if the exponent is a fraction? Find out what to do with fractional powers in this lesson.
6. Negative Exponents: Writing Powers of Fractions and Decimals
Most numbers can be written in different ways, either as a fraction, decimal or exponent. This lesson will teach you how to write fractions and decimals using exponents and how to convert between the two.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Multiple Subjects Subtest II (214): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the CSET Multiple Subjects Test
- Intro to Properties of Matter
- Atoms, Elements & the Periodic Table
- Solutions & Mixtures in Chemistry
- Mechanics, Force & Motion
- Basics of Thermodynamics
- Intro to Waves, Sound & Light
- Energy Conservation & Earth's Resources
- Cell Structure, Organelles & Organelle Functions
- Structure & Function of Human Body Systems
- Plant Biology
- Requirements of Biological Systems
- Plant & Animal Life Cycles
- Cell Growth & Division
- Principles of Evolution & Natural Selection
- Orbits & Rotations of Celestial Bodies
- Galaxies, Stars and Solar Systems
- Properties of Minerals & Rocks
- Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- Basics of Plate Tectonics
- Rock Deformation & Mountain Building
- Landforms, Volcanoes & Earthquakes
- Meteorology & Climate Basics
- The Earth's Water
- Planning & Conducting Scientific Investigations
- Basic Arithmetic Review
- Number Sense & Theory
- Relations & Functions
- Ratios & Proportional Reasoning
- Graphing & Solving Inequalities
- Creating & Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
- Writing & Graphing Equations
- Operations with Polynomials
- Solving & Factoring Quadratic Equations
- 2D & 3D Geometric Figures
- Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence in Geometry
- Geometric Measurement
- Data & Surveys in Statistics
- Interpreting Data from Tables & Graphs
- Chance & Probability
- Problem Solving & Mathematical Reasoning
- CSET Multiple Subjects Subtest 2 Flashcards