About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help preparing for the math portion of the GMAT will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding the perimeter of rectangles and triangles or the area and circumference of circles.
- Need an efficient way to learn about perimeter, area and volume.
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra math resources at school.
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Perimeter, Area and Volume chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Perimeter, Area and Volume chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- How do I find the area and perimeter of rectangles and triangles?
- What steps should I use to find the perimeter of irregular and combined shapes or quadrilaterals?
- How do I calculate the area of complex figures?
- What formulas should I use to compute the area and circumference of circles?
- How do I calculate the volume of prisms and pyramids?
- What formula should I use to find the volume of cones, cylinders and spheres?
1. Perimeter of Triangles and Rectangles
Without realizing it, we calculate and use the perimeter of triangles and rectangles in regular everyday situations. Learn more about the perimeter of triangles and rectangles in this lesson, and test your knowledge with a quiz.
2. Perimeter of Quadrilaterals and Irregular or Combined Shapes
Sometimes you need to figure out a shape's perimeter whether you have all the information you want or not. In this lesson, you'll learn how to find the perimeter of any quadrilateral as well as more complicated irregular and combined shapes.
3. Area of Triangles and Rectangles
How do you find out the area of rectangles and triangles? Learn how in this lesson! We'll look at the formulas, then practice solving problems for each shape.
4. Area of Complex Figures
Finding the area of shapes isn't always as simple as it is with squares and rectangles. In this lesson, you'll learn how to find the area of complex figures. This includes finding the area of unusual shapes and finding the area of parts of shapes.
5. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
6. Volume of Prisms and Pyramids
In this lesson, we'll learn about prisms and pyramids. We'll look at the different types of prisms and pyramids, as well as practice calculating volume for each shape.
7. Volume of Cylinders, Cones, and Spheres
In this lesson, we'll learn about the volume formulas for cylinders, cones and spheres. We'll also practice using the formula in a variety of real-world examples where knowing how to calculate volume is helpful.
8. Finding the Volume of a Triangular Prism
Triangular prisms are objects with triangular bases and rectangular sides. This lesson will explore how you can use the formula for the area of a triangle and the height of the prism to find the total volume of the object.
9. Formula for the Area of an Ellipse
In this lesson, you'll learn some ellipse terminology. You'll also learn the formula for the area of an ellipse and go through a few examples of the equation in action. Then, you can test your new knowledge with a brief quiz.
10. What is Perimeter? - Definition & Formula
In mathematics, the perimeter is the distance around a two-dimensional shape. The formula for finding the perimeter of certain shapes will be discussed in this lesson, and there will be some examples to help you understand how to calculate the perimeter.
11. Surface Area to Volume Ratio
Although it may seem to be just a mathematical activity, the surface-area-to-volume ratio actually has real-world significance. In this lesson, you'll learn how you can calculate this ratio along with how useful this ratio is in various aspects of science.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GMAT Prep: Help and Review course
- Basic Arithmetic Calculations: Help and Review
- Rational Numbers: Help and Review
- Decimals and Percents: Help and Review
- Data & Statistics: Help and Review
- Basic Algebraic Expressions: Help and Review
- Exponents: Help and Review
- Algebraic Linear Equations & Inequalities: Help and Review
- Algebra - Absolute Value Equations & Inequalities: Help and Review
- Algebra - Polynomials: Help and Review
- Algebra - Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- Geometric Properties of Objects: Help and Review
- Geometric Graphing Basics: Help and Review
- Geometric Graphing Functions: Help and Review
- Writing Conventions - Grammar: Help and Review
- Usage in Writing: Help and Review
- Reading Comprehension for Test-Taking: Help and Review
- Critical Reasoning for Test-Taking: Help and Review
- Practical Applications for Test-Taking: Help and Review
- Essay Writing Basics: Help and Review
- Essay Clarity: Help and Review
- Editing Your Writing: Help and Review
- Practicing Analytical Writing: Help and Review
- GMAT Test: General Info
- GMAT Prep Flashcards