About This Chapter
Periodic Table & Electronic Configuration- Chapter Summary
To learn more about the periodic table, work through the lessons available to you in this chapter. These lessons were made to help you learn about valence electrons and review the properties of S-block elements. You'll go over the properties of D- and P-block elements and examine electronegativity and electron affinity trends. The short video lessons will help you obtain the following objectives:
- Define valence electrons
- State properties of S-block elements
- Describe electron configuration in D-block elements
- Explain general information about P-block elements
- Understand the degree of attraction
- Identify the equation used for electron affinity
Our instructors teach these lessons to you in a way that is not only informative, but also easy for you to understand. If you find yourself struggling to retain the material or you have any questions, our instructors are available to address any of your concerns, making you more confident to retain this material. The Dashboard feature allows you to ask questions and also can help you organize and keep up with your progress through the lessons.
1. Valence Electrons and Energy Levels of Atoms of Elements
The periodic table contains a wealth of information. This lesson will explain how to use it to quickly determine the most useful information about the most important electrons. We will be focusing our discussion on valence electrons and energy levels.
2. S-Block Elements on the Periodic Table: Properties & Overview
Take a tour of the s-block of the periodic table and get to know the elements inside. Learn all about the s-block elements, including some of their distinguishing properties, then quiz yourself on your knowledge.
3. D-Block Elements: Properties & Electron Configuration
In this lesson, we'll explore the d-block elements, which are the transitional elements situated in the center of the periodic table of elements. Read on to learn about this block of elements as well as how they behave.
4. P-Block Elements on the Periodic Table: Properties & Overview
Come on a tour of the p-block, an area on the periodic table filled with an incredibly diverse group of elements. Learn what the p-block elements are, discover some of their properties, and then assess your new knowledge with a quiz.
5. Electronegativity: Definition & Trends
The attraction of electrons is different depending on the element. This degree of attraction is measured by the element's electronegativity. In this lesson, we will discuss electronegativity, its trends in the periodic table, and bonding.
6. Electron Affinity: Definition, Trends & Equation
When an electron is added to an atom, a change in energy occurs. This change in energy is what we call the electron affinity. In this lesson, we will discuss electron affinity and its general trend in the periodic table.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UPSEE Paper 1: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Basics of Scientific Units & Measurement
- Understanding the Laws of Motion
- Energy, Work & Power in Physics
- Fundamentals of Linear Momentum
- Understanding Rotation of a Rigid Body
- Gravitation in Physics
- Understanding Oscillatory Motion
- Mechanics of Solids & Fluids
- Properties of Heat & Thermodynamics
- Overview of Waves
- Understanding Electrostatics
- Overview of Current Electricity
- Magnetic Effect of Current
- Magnetism in Matter
- Electromagnetic Induction Overview
- Ray Optics & Optical Instruments
- Understanding Wave Optics
- Overview of Modern Physics
- Overview of Nuclear Physics
- Electronics, Transistors & Signals
- Atomic Structure & Configuration
- Properties of Chemical Bonds
- Redox Reactions Overview
- Chemical Equilibrium & Kinetics
- Electrochemistry & Catalysts
- Colloids in Chemistry
- Colligative Properties of Solution
- Overview of Thermochemistry
- Reactions & Compounds in Organic Chemistry
- Understanding Isomerism
- Overview of Organic Compounds
- Properties of Solids in Chemistry
- Overview of Algebra Basics
- Matrices in Algebra
- Probability in Math
- Understanding Trigonometry
- Overview of Coordinate Geometry
- Principles of Calculus
- Vectors in Algebra
- Mechanics Overview
- UPSEE Paper 1 Flashcards