About This Chapter
Persia from Cyrus II to Darius III - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter break down Persian history from King Cyrus II to Darius III. Containing bite-sized and informative lessons, the chapter offers facts about the Persian Empire's rulers, location, rise and eventual fall. You'll also go over the history of the Achaemenid Empire. Upon completion of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Recognize important facts about the Persian Empire
- Locate the Persian Empire on a map
- Summarize the history of the Achaemenid Empire
- Evaluate the Persian Empire's kings, including Cyrus, Cambyses II and Darius I
- Understand the historical events that led to the Persian Empire's rise and fall
Following each lesson is a short self-assessment quiz that can help you evaluate your understanding of the material. You have the option of working through the chapter in sequence or jumping to specific topics on your course Dashboard. If you have any questions, our expert history instructors will be happy to help you out. You can access the chapter on any computer or mobile device, which allows you to study at school, in the office, at home or when you're on-the-go.
1. The Persian Empire: Definition & Facts
The Persian Empire was the largest the world had seen to that point, and it left some important legacies. In this lesson, we'll talk about this mighty empire and see how it maintained its power.
2. The Persian Empire: Location, Geography & Maps
In this lesson we explore the ancient Persian Empire. We discuss its rise, expansion, and eventual decline before it was wiped off the map by Alexander the Great.
3. The Achaemenid Empire: History, Region & Timeline
Learn about the Achaemenid Empire, or First Persian Empire, how it worked, its cultural and political achievements, and its downfall against Alexander the Great. When you are finished take the quiz and see what you've learned.
4. The Rise & Fall of the Persian Empire
The Persian Empire was one of the greatest military states of the ancient world. In this lesson, we'll talk about its rise and fall, and see what became of this ancient empire.
5. Kings of the Persian Empire: Cyrus, Cambyses II & Darius I
The First Persian Empire, also known as the Achaemenid Empire, was one of the largest in history. In this lesson we'll explore it's first three rulers and see how they impacted world history.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSC Ancient History: Exam Prep & Syllabus course
- Cities of Vesuvius: Pompeii & Herculaneum
- Old Kingdom of Ancient Egypt
- New Kingdom of Ancient Egypt
- Ancient Egyptian Economy & Society
- Ancient Egyptian Culture & Customs
- Important Ancient Egyptian Personalities
- Ancient Assyria Overview
- Israel & Judah from Solomon to the Fall of Jerusalem
- Ancient Israel Overview
- Important Near East Personalities
- Ancient Persia Overview
- Ancient Minoans
- Mycenaean Civilization
- Ancient Greece from 500-399 BC
- Ancient Greece: Athens Overview
- Ancient Greece: Sparta Overview
- 4th Century Greece Till the Death of Philip II of Macedon
- Important Ancient Greek Personalities
- Ancient Rome from 264 to 31 BC
- Ancient Rome from 44 BC to AD 235
- Important Ancient Roman Personalities
- HSC Ancient History Flashcards