About This Chapter
Personal Care in Nursing - Chapter Summary
Study the basics of personal care in nursing and effectively strengthen your understanding by reviewing this chapter's entertaining lessons. Each lesson covers a unique topic, enabling you to study personal care and hygiene practices, types of personal care skills and more at a comfortable pace. After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Discuss the impact of personal care and hygiene practices on health
- Explain the process of assessing a patient's personal care and hygiene
- List and describe types of personal care skills in nursing
- Describe treatment options for issues with the bladder and urethra
- Define and discuss uses of the Foley catheter
Navigate this chapter in your sequence of choice and access lessons as often as needed to improve you understanding of personal care in nursing. At any point during your exploration of the lessons, feel free to assess your comprehension by taking short multiple-choice quizzes. Any lesson topic questions that arise while studying this chapter can be submitted to our experts. To ensure you have a complete grasp of personal care in nursing, be sure to take our practice exam.
1. Impact of Personal Care & Hygiene Practices on Health
You've been told to wash your hands and clean your teeth, but do you really know why we bother doing this? In this lesson, you'll learn the importance and impact of hygiene on your health.
2. Assessing a Patient's Hygiene & Personal Care
Hygiene and personal care is an important part of a nurse's assessment of a patient. This module covers all the aspects of hygiene and personal care that should be assessed for patient care.
3. Types of Personal Care Skills in Nursing
We are going to look at the personal care skills required in order to properly care for a patient and help keep patients free of diseases. We will discuss how and the frequency in which they should be done.
4. Bladder & Urethra Treatment Vocabulary
We are going to discuss the treatments that are done on the bladder and urethra in order to correct problems found in these structures. Learn about why these treatments are performed and use the quiz to test your knowledge.
5. What is a Foley Catheter? - Definition & Uses
A Foley catheter is a small flexible rubber or plastic tube that is placed into the bladder to assist in the collection and drainage of urine for those who have medical conditions affecting their urinary tract. Read about more about its uses below.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Florida Prometric CNA Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- The Role of Nurse Aides
- Nursing Communication & Patient Rights
- Communication in Nursing
- Safety for Nurses
- Basic Hygiene for Nurses
- Asepsis & Infection Control in Nursing
- Patient Injuries & Infections
- Emergency Situations in Nursing
- Emergency Care & Procedures
- Circulation & Skin Integrity Concerns in Nursing
- Nutrition Basics for Nurses
- Understanding Fluid & Electrolyte Balance in Nursing
- Understanding Rest & Sleep in Nursing
- Elimination Overview for Nurses
- Assistive Devices & Mobility
- Psychosocial Concerns in Nursing
- Physical Assessment Techniques
- Physical Impairments
- Understanding Pain & Pain Management in Nursing
- Mental Health Concepts
- The Aging Process
- End of Life Care