About This Chapter
Personal & Family Wellness - Chapter Summary
This online study guide chapter provides an overview of personal and family wellness concepts. As you work through this series of video and text-based lessons, you'll examine factors, choices and activities that can contribute to an individual's personal wellness. Our expert instructors will also explain how fitness assessments and stress management techniques can benefit personal health. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Recognize social, cultural and environmental influences on health
- Identify positive lifestyle choices that lead to personal wellness
- Explain how human body systems are affected by inactivity
- Set health goals by using fitness assessments
- Describe the benefits of stress management
The chapter offers a variety of supplemental study resources in addition to the lesson material. Each lesson comes with a printable transcript, as well as a short self-assessment quiz. We've also included a chapter exam to help you check your understanding of the material, as well as the Ask an Expert feature that allows you to submit any questions you may have. The chapter's online format and 24/7 availability makes it easy to study wherever and whenever it's convenient for you.
1. Influences on Health: Social, Cultural & Environmental
Have you ever noticed that even though you have a healthy lifestyle, sometimes your surroundings have a big effect on your health outcomes? Learn about how social norms, cultural beliefs, and environmental conditions can impact our health.
2. Lifestyle Choices and Personal Wellness: Decisions, Behavior & Prevention
What are lifestyle choices? What are acute and chronic problems? Which U.S. agencies are important for disease prevention? You'll find out about this and more in this lesson!
3. How Inactivity Affects Human Body Systems
Physical inactivity affects you inside and out from head to toe. This lesson discusses how a lack of exercise can lead to a variety of physical disorders in many of your body systems.
4. Using Fitness Assessments to Set Health Goals
Everybody wants to get healthier, so let's learn how to use fitness assessments to set your health goals. We'll look at an actual list of popular tests and techniques and we'll discuss how to interpret the tests so you can reach your health goals.
5. What is Stress Management? - Definition & Benefits
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of stress management, the benefits of practicing stress management and numerous stress management techniques.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the WEST-E Family & Consumer Sciences Education (041): Study Guide & Practice course
- Characteristics of Human Relationships
- Relationship Conflict & Communication
- Overview of Family Changes & Transitions
- Factors Affecting Relationships
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- The Development of Adults
- Influences on Human Growth & Development
- Beginning the Parenting Process
- Parenting Process
- Family Resources
- Sources & Functions of Nutrients
- Nutrition Needs Across the Lifespan
- Nutrition & Wellness
- Overview of Food Preparation
- Food Safety & Storage
- Resource Management & Consumption Behaviors
- Personal Insurance Coverage
- Consumer Behavior & Rights
- Family & Consumer Sciences Careers & Education
- Basic Career Skills
- WEST-E Family & Consumer Sciences Education (041) Flashcards