About This Chapter
Personal Finance & Consumer Economics - Chapter Summary
Personal finance and consumer economics are fairly complicated topics to understand, so it helps if you have a comprehensive and easy-to-use study guide for this subject. Fortunately, we have provided you with just such a guide in this chapter's concise but informative text and video lessons. Each lesson will teach you about essential topics in personal finance and consumer economics.
You can watch this chapter to learn about essential components of personal finance, relevant financial concepts, and informative examples that will help you grasp these somewhat convoluted topics. Each of our lesson instructors has specific expertise in these fields, so you can be confident in all information you receive in this chapter. Topics you will learn about include:
- The definition, types and examples of financial investments
- The definition and examples of short-term investments
- Stocks and bonds
- Preferred stock
- The definition, types, advantages and disadvantages of loans
- How to calculate monthly loan payments
- The types and concept of health insurance
- The definition and statistics of consumer income
If you would like to test your understanding when you have completed the lessons, the chapter offers convenient practice quizzes and a final exam. You also have the function of messaging the lesson instructors directly, if you would like further clarification on specific points that you went over in the lessons. Finally, be sure to use your personal Dashboard to keep track of your learning progress as you go through the chapter.
1. What is a Financial Investment? - Definition, Types & Examples
Learn about the basics of financial investments and some of the key terminology that is important to understand. Find out about some of the most common types of financial investments and the unique attributes of each.
2. What Are Short-Term Investments? - Definition & Examples
Learn more about short-term investments, their definition, time frames, and associated risk. Find out what defines an asset as liquid and what is classified as a short-term investment.
3. Stocks: Understanding Investment Performance
Many large companies around the world are owned by the public in the form of stocks. Watch this video lesson to learn how stockholders earn money when the company does well.
4. Bonds: Understanding Investment Performance
In this video lesson, you will learn how to calculate the worth of a bond over time. Learn how interest payments are calculated. See just how much money can be earned from keeping a bond over time.
5. Preferred Stock: Understanding Investment Performance
After watching this video lesson, you will understand the differences between preferred stocks and regular stocks. You'll also learn how to calculate your dividends and earnings on your stocks when you sell them.
6. What is a Loan? - Definition, Types, Advantages & Disadvantages
Learn what a loan is and some of the most common types of loans that people get. Find out which loans are best for different situations and some of the advantages and disadvantages of getting a loan.
7. Calculating Monthly Loan Payments
Watch this video lesson and learn how you can calculate your monthly payment when you are thinking of purchasing a car. Okay, you can also use this formula whenever you are getting a loan!
8. Health Insurance: Types & Concept
Did you know that there are an estimated 1 billion health insurance claims filed each year? Learn more about the different types of health insurance that are available in the United States.
9. Consumer Income: Definition & Statistics
Consumer income is crucial for the functioning of our consumer-based economy. In this lesson, you'll learn what consumer income is, examine some related concepts, and see some relevant statistics.
10. What Is Disposable Income? - Definition & Explanation
Most businesses need customers with disposable income and also need disposable income themselves to grow. In this lesson, you'll learn what disposable income is and discover some important related concepts. A short quiz will follow.
11. Sources of Income in Retirement
In this lesson, learn several key ways that older adults pay their bills after retiring from work. You'll see how people can have different experiences in funding their retirement.
12. What is Cost of Living? - Expenses & Overview
Most everyone would like a COLA, and we're not talking about soft drinks. In this lesson, you'll learn what cost of living is and some of its key concepts. You'll also have a chance to take a short quiz.
13. Standard of Living: Definition & Measurement
You've probably heard about the concept of standard of living and how it varies between different countries. In this lesson, you'll learn about what standard of living is and how it can be measured.
14. Evaluating a Career's Cost and Benefits
Choosing a career takes a lot of thought. One way to consider different careers to to compare the cost and benefits of them. Watch this lesson to figure out how to determine the return on investment for different careers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Business Education (309): Practice & Study Guide course
- Organizational Management in Business
- Human Resource Management in Business
- Business Law & Ethics
- Taxation for Corporations
- Business Accounting Overview
- Consumer Credit
- Personal Insurance Coverage
- Computation & Quantitative Analysis in Business
- Microeconomics Concepts & Laws
- Microeconomics Fundamentals for Business
- Macroeconomics Principles for Business
- International Business & Trade
- Principles of Marketing & Market Research
- Fundamentals of E-commerce
- Entrepreneurship & Business Plans
- Business Communication Fundamentals
- Information Systems in Business
- Business Software
- Career Development in Business
- NES Business Education Flashcards