About This Chapter
Personal Health & Wellness - Chapter Summary
This chapter's video lessons center on personal health and wellness concepts, in addition to related terminology. Watching the videos allows you to explore the different ways we fight disease, ranging from the body's immune system to vaccines and other medical treatments.
Our experienced instructors also guide you through examples of different types of diseases and their causes. The importance of good hygiene and lifestyle choices is emphasized as well. After finishing this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Define locus of control
- Explain the immune system's function
- Distinguish between communicable and non-communicable diseases
- Identify ways to prevent and control disease
- Understand the etiology of disease
- Describe reasons for making good lifestyle choices
- Recognize the connection between good hygiene and health
We believe learning should be fun and convenient. Our video lessons, which are typically less than 10 minutes long, are available whenever you want to watch them on your computer or mobile device. The videos are filled with engaging graphics and real-world examples to drive these health and wellness concepts home. Our lessons also include transcripts and multiple-choice quizzes.
1. Locus of Control: Definition & Relation to Wellness
Are you an internally or externally focused person? What does that really all mean? How does it affect your view of the world and your potential successes and failures? This and more will be discussed in this lesson.
2. What Is the Immune System? - Our Body's Defense Against Pathogens
In this lesson, you will be introduced to the immune system. You'll learn about the innate and adaptive immune system, Edward Jenner, haptens and immune tolerance.
3. Epidemiology of Communicable & Noncommunicable Diseases
Within the field of epidemiology, there are two major classifications of disease: communicable and non-communicable. Today you will learn the differences between these classifications, as well as some examples of each.
4. Disease Control & Prevention
This lesson will discuss the many different ways by which people can control disease. Everything from vaccination to sterilization and beyond will be mentioned so that you can better appreciate the large arsenal of tools at our disposal.
5. Etiology of Disease: Definition & Example
In this lesson, you're going to learn what etiology means and how etiology is broken down into three main categories. You'll also go over a concrete example to demonstrate the etiology of a disease.
6. Lifestyle Choices and Personal Wellness: Decisions, Behavior & Prevention
What are lifestyle choices? What are acute and chronic problems? Which U.S. agencies are important for disease prevention? You'll find out about this and more in this lesson!
7. The Importance of Personal Hygiene
We are taught how to practice good personal hygiene habits from a young age because these habits can help us in many ways. In this lesson, we'll learn the benefits of good personal hygiene.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Health & Physical Education (615): Practice & Study Guide course
- Mental & Emotional Health
- Relationships & Communication
- Types & Stages of Human Development
- Human Body Organs & Systems
- Sexual Health
- Diet, Nutrition & Health Problems
- Drugs & Substance Abuse
- Personal Safety & Injury Prevention
- Basics of Physical Education
- Motor Skill Development
- Sports, Physical Activity & Fitness
- Health & Physical Education Classroom Management
- Physical Education Curriculum & Assessments
- Professionalism for Health & Physical Education Teachers
- GACE Health & Physical Education Flashcards