About This Chapter
Personal Nutrition & Health Problems - Chapter Summary
If you want to learn more about your health and the nutritional qualities of your diet, you can go through this chapter and watch our interactive video lessons. You will find these lessons to be a great means of studying up on this subject.
These lessons contain relevant definitions pertaining to nutrition. You will also explore the major risk factors related to individual health in the United States. Specific topics you will learn about include:
- Health concerns in America
- The definition of nutrition
- How to determine your nutritional needs
- Examples of communicable non-communicable diseases
- Substance abuse and its causes
- The health effects of tobacco use
- How to mitigate the effects risk factors to personal health
The video tags included in each lesson will allow you to locate and jump to significant moments in a lesson without having to search from the beginning. The chapter also contains transcripts of each lesson that you can use to further study these topics. Your personal Dashboard will allow you to track your progress as you complete the chapter.
1. Major Health Problems in the United States
Ever wonder what the most common health-related problems are in the United States? You're about to find out what they are and how some of them are related.
2. What is Nutrition?
Nutrition is the process of taking in nutrients from the foods you eat. Learn about the six nutrients needed for energy, maintenance of tissues and regulation of bodily processes: carbohydrates, fats, proteins, water, vitamins and minerals.
3. Determining Your Nutritional Needs
This lesson will teach you about important terms involved in determining your nutritional needs, as well as about a tool that can help you use the latest nutritional science to figure these things out.
4. Communicable & Noncommunicable Diseases: Definition & Examples
A disease is a condition in the body that disrupts normal functions. Why are some diseases contagious while others aren't? This lesson discusses the difference between communicable and noncommunicable diseases.
5. Substance Use, Abuse, and Dependence: Definition and Causes of Substance Disorders
Substance use, abuse, and dependence are often confused with each other. In this lesson, we'll look at the differences between the three and common causes of addiction.
6. Tobacco Use & Health
Tobacco contains an addictive chemical called nicotine. Nicotine is why it is so hard to stop using tobacco once you start. Learn how smoking or chewing tobacco causes diseases, affects your breathing and even causes bad breath and yellow teeth.
7. Mitigating the Effects of Personal Health Risk Factors
There are several personal health risk factors that can increase your chances of serious health issues. This lesson takes a look at some common risk factors that can be addressed before they become much larger problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Elementary Education - Multiple Subjects (5001): Practice & Study Guide course
- Overview of Phonics Education
- Fluency in Education
- Speaking & Listening
- Words, Phrases & Language
- Elements of Literary Texts
- Informational Texts & Text Complexity
- Overview of Writing Types
- Characteristics of Effective Writing
- Writing Development & Digital Tools
- English Grammar & Grammatical Errors
- Writing Research & Citation
- World Exploration & Colonization
- Road to the American Revolution
- The American Revolution
- Major Events in U.S. History
- 20th Century Developments in the U.S.
- Overview of Government Systems
- Basic Economics
- Historical Documents of the United States
- Principles of American Democracy
- Basics of Human Geography
- Major Contributions of Classical Societies
- 20th Century Developments in World History
- The History of the European Union
- Interpreting History from Different Perspectives
- Place Value System
- Rational Number Operations & Properties
- Representing Rational Numbers & Operations
- Proportional Relationships & Percents
- Number Theory & Mathematical Reasoning
- Introduction to Algebraic Expressions
- Solving Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Mathematical Patterns
- Fundamentals of Geometric Figures & Angles
- 2D & 3D Shapes
- Finding Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Coordinate Plane
- Solving Real World Math Problems
- Statistical Concepts
- Measurement and the Metric System
- Data Display Methods
- Circle, Bar & Line Graphs
- Probability Concepts
- Scientific Thinking & Research
- Structure of Matter
- Basics of Forces & Motion
- Work, Power & Energy
- Interactions of Energy & Matter
- Overview of Geomorphology
- Earth & the Solar System
- Earth Patterns, Cycles & Change
- Basic Components of Living Things
- Change in Living Things
- Biodiversity, Adaptation & Classification
- Praxis Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects Flashcards