About This Chapter
Personal Safety Precautions - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
In this chapter, instructors illustrate some measures you can take to improve your personal safety, whether you're sitting at home, putting in a hard day's work or getting some fresh air in the great outdoors. If an emergency does occur, you can also use what you've learned to provide basic care until first responders arrive. By this chapter's end, you should be familiar with the following:
- Precautionary measures for staying safe at home and at work
- Tips for increasing your safety while outdoors or on the road
- Methods for providing care in an emergency
|Residential Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures||Find out what residential safety entails and get a list protective measures for maintaining a safe home environment.|
|Workplace Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures||Explore some precautionary measures designed to increase safety while at work.|
|Pedestrian & Automotive Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures||Discover what steps you can take to increase safety while walking or riding in a vehicle. Study guidelines for safely operating a vehicle.|
|Water & Recreational Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures||Outline methods used to increase safety while in or around water or participating in other recreational activities.|
|Providing Emergency Care: Types & Methods||Learn how to provide basic emergency care for individuals who have collapsed or stopped breathing. Find out what to do if someone is choking, bleeding, seizing or suffering from alcohol poisoning or a drug overdose.|
1. Residential Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures
Residential safety involves safety measures that concern your home. This lesson will explain the many dangers that lurk at home and how you can avoid them.
2. Workplace Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures
What's your line of work? Or, what are the dangers you face at work? Workplace safety is important; that's why we are going to discuss how to keep yourself safe in this lesson.
3. Pedestrian & Automotive Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures
The safety of pedestrians and motor vehicle operators are often interlinked. This lesson will teach you about important safety measures you can take as a driver and a pedestrian to protect your life and those of others.
4. Water & Recreational Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures
We all love to have fun, but that fun may come at a cost unless you are safe about recreation, namely water activities like boating and swimming. This lesson will show you why and what you can do to protect yourself.
5. Providing Emergency Care: Types & Methods
This lesson will teach you the first important steps you may need to take during an emergency situation and some basic but important life-saving techniques you can use during such an emergency.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Health & Human Development: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Introduction to Health and Wellness
- Psychosocial Health for Personal Wellness
- Mood Disorders and Personal Health
- Anxiety Disorders and Personal Health
- Psychotic Disorders and Personal Health
- Personality Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Healthy Relationships and Sexuality
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Sexual & Gender Identity Disorders and Personal Health
- Nutrition's Role in Health
- Fitness for Personal Health
- Weight Management for Personal Health
- The Aging Population and Personal Health
- Dying & Bereavement in Personal Health
- Cardiovascular, Respiratory, & Endocrine Health
- Cancer and Personal Health
- Immune Disorders & Infectious Conditions
- Diabetes, Arthritis, and Genetic-Related Disorders
- Neurological Disorders, Symptoms & Conditions
- Introduction to Environmental Health and Risk Analysis
- Environmental Health: Issues and Human Concerns
- Intentional Violence and Injury
- Consumer Awareness of Health Care
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Health & Human Development Flashcards