About This Chapter
Personality and Emotion - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll review engaging video lessons about human personalities and emotions. The chapter is taught by expert instructors who break down essential personality and emotion concepts, such as temperament, personality stability, emotional regulation, attribution theory and more. When you're finished working through the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Summarize attribution theory and the locus of control principle
- Explain the basics of emotional intelligence, regulation and growth
- Describe early childhood emotional regulation and aggression
- Compare types of temperaments
- Differentiate between personality stability and change
The entertaining nature of these lessons helps you quickly move through the chapter and remember key concepts. Be sure to take the lesson quizzes and chapter exam to check your understanding of the material. If you want to study offline, you can print the word-for-word lesson transcripts. Otherwise, you can watch the videos on any device that has an Internet connection, such as a laptop or smartphone.
1. Attribution Theory and the Principle of Locus of Control
What do you attribute your successes or failures to? Do you feel like luck and chance are involved, or do you feel like you're in control of your achievements and behavior? This lesson will provide you with an overview of attribution theory and the principles of locus of control.
2. What Is Emotional Intelligence? - Definition & Explanation
Do you know people who have difficulty getting along with others and a great deal of conflict in their lives? It's probably linked to their level of emotional intelligence. Learn what emotional intelligence is and how it is important in everyday life.
3. Emotion Regulation: Definition, Theory & Strategies
What is emotion regulation? How do people view it and is there a way to learn it? Learn about a common theory of how social interactions lead to success or failure based on how one controls and regulates their emotions.
4. Emotion Regulation and Aggression in Early Childhood
What happens when a sweet kid suddenly starts hitting, kicking, and doing other aggressive things? In this lesson, we'll explore aggression in early childhood, including the main types of aggression and how to increase self-regulation.
5. Emotional Growth: Definition & Overview
Ever wonder why you cry at the end of 'Old Yeller'? Or why you get so mad when your favorite football team loses? It's based on emotions, and those responses you have come from your childhood development. This lesson will cover emotions, how they develop, and how they can be used!
6. What is Temperament? - Definitions, Meaning & Types
Were you a fussy baby or an easy-going infant? In this lesson, you will learn about different temperament types seen in babies and why it is important to understand temperament.
7. Stability vs. Change in Personality
What makes you who you are? How are you different from other people? And will your personality ever change? Watch this lesson to find out more about the 'Big Five' personality traits and how people change over their lifespan.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CLEP Human Growth and Development: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Theoretical Approaches to Human Growth and Development
- Research Methods and the Study of Human Growth and Development
- Genetic Influences on Development
- Biological Development
- Sensory and Perceptual Development
- Cognition and Cognitive Development
- Creativity and Intelligence Development
- Basic Principles of Learning
- Language Development Overview
- Social Development
- Social Relationship Development
- Society, Family, Technology & Development
- Education, Development & Care Throughout Life
- Atypical Development
- CLEP Human Growth and Development Flashcards
- Additional CLEP Human Growth and Development Flashcards