About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Personality Disorders in Abnormal Psychology chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday|| Introduction to personality,|
Clinical features of personality disorders
|Personality, traits, states, anxiety, personality disorder clusters, identity disturbance and interpersonal difficulties|
|Tuesday||Cluster A personality disorders||Paranoid, schizoid and schizotypal|
|Wednesday||Cluster B personality disorders: Erratic types||Antisocial, borderline, narcissistic and histrionic|
|Thursday||Cluster C personality disorders||Avoidant, dependent, obsessive-compulsive|
|Friday||Challenges in diagnosing personality disorders||Gender and socioeconomic factors|
1. Intro to Personality
You put two people in the same situation and, odds are, they'll react in a range of different ways. Some people might even react in a completely unexpected or extreme way. Why is this? Read this lesson for insight into personality types and what makes people tick the way they do.
2. Clinical Features of Personality Disorders: Identity & Interpersonal Difficulties
What makes some people unsuccessful at interpersonal relationships? In this lesson, we'll look at the interpersonal and identity issues that face patients with personality disorders.
3. Cluster A Personality Disorders: Paranoid, Schizoid and Schizotypal
What happens when people are paranoid, withdrawn, or weird? In this lesson, we'll look at the three cluster A personality disorders, which are characterized by odd or eccentric behavior and thoughts.
4. Cluster B Personality Disorders: Erratic Types
Anyone can feel a little emotional, but there's something wrong when a person's emotions are always extreme. In this lesson, we'll look at the four cluster B personality disorders which are characterized by erratic behavior and extreme emotion.
5. Cluster C Personality Disorders: Avoidant, Dependent, Obsessive-Compulsive
Everyone feels shy or insecure from time-to-time, but what happens when you feel overly fearful all the time? In this lesson, we'll explore three Cluster C personality disorders, which involve being scared and too cautious.
6. Challenges in Diagnosing Personality Disorders
Personality disorders are some of the hardest psychological disorders to diagnose. In this lesson, we'll look at diagnostic challenges regarding personality disorders, including bias and overlap with other psychological disorders.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Abnormal Psychology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Introduction to Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Research Methods Lesson Plans
- Clinical Research of Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- The Biological Model of Abnormality Lesson Plans
- The Psychodynamic Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Behavioral/Learning Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Cognitive Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Humanistic-Existential Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Sociocultural Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Diathesis-Stress Model Lesson Plans
- Clinical Assessment in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Anxiety Disorders Lesson Plans
- Mood Disorders of Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Stress Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Somatoform Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Dissociative Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Eating Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders Lesson Plans
- Substance Use Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Psychotic Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Cognitive Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Life-Span Development Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Factitious Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Treatment in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans