About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your personality homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your personality homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Personality basics
- Behavioral genetics
- Id, ego and superego
- Freud's defense mechanisms
- Freudian stages of psychosexual development
- Humanistic psychology
- Different approaches to personality assessments
- Trait assessment testing methods
1. Intro to Personality
You put two people in the same situation and, odds are, they'll react in a range of different ways. Some people might even react in a completely unexpected or extreme way. Why is this? Watch this lesson for insight into personality types and what makes them tick the way they do.
2. Types of Studies in Behavioral Genetics: Twin, Family & Adoption
Are you destined to inherit your mother's penchant for collecting old postcards or your father's constant worry that something bad is about to happen? Find out with this lesson, which delves into the world of genetic and environmental behaviors and personality traits.
3. Freud's Theory of the Id, Ego & Superego: Definitions & Examples
Do you know who or what is behind the metaphorical angel and devil sitting on your shoulders, debating whether you should get up for a jog or hit the snooze button again? This lesson examines this type of internal debate by addressing Freud's work on the different sides of our conscious and unconscious selves - the id, the ego and the superego.
4. Freudian Defense Mechanisms: Definition, Levels & Examples
Do you think that defense mechanisms are what happen in the football field and coping mechanisms are what a team does when the quarterback is injured? Think again. These are just two of the list of Freud's terms used to categorize how we react to life's curve balls. Watch this lesson to get the whole picture.
5. Freud's Stages of Psychosexual Development
Among Freud's most notorious theories is his theory of psychosexual development. This lesson discusses each of the stages and traces how he theorized that normal development leads to sexual maturity and how certain stages can develop awry.
6. Humanistic Psychology & Carl Rogers' Theory of Personality
Do ever wonder about the origins of contemporary therapy practices? This lesson discusses the work of Carl Rogers and how Humanistic Psychology developed into a therapy style that helps us try to find and reach that best version of ourselves.
7. Historical Personality Assessment: Humorism, Phrenology & Physiognomy
Freud wasn't the first person to try to figure out why people do the things they do. All throughout history, scientific and philosophical brainpower have been devoted to figuring out how we end up the way they do. Find out more about the history of the study of personality in this lesson.
8. Trait Assessment Testing: Fundamental Attribution Error & OCEAN
Do you know what 'OCEAN' stands for when it comes to personality assessment? This lesson includes the breakdown of all the traits used to assess personality. Which ones apply to you? Are you nervous and neurotic or open to new experiences and optimistic? Find out what this all means.
9. What Are Personality Traits? - Characteristics, Definition & Five Big Traits
In this lesson, you will learn about personality traits, including the most widely accepted model of classifying personality traits, the Big Five factors. Following the lesson, you will have the opportunity to test your knowledge with a short quiz.
10. Conscientiousness in Personality: Definition & Overview
In this lesson, you will learn to define the personality trait conscientiousness as well as ways its exhibited in everyday situations. Following this lesson, you'll have the opportunity to test your knowledge with a short quiz.
11. Delayed Gratification: Definition & Overview
Are you the type of person who gets all their work done before going out for a night of fun? If so, you have successfully mastered delayed gratification, which has a big impact on many areas of life.
12. Extraversion in Personality: Definition & Overview
Social butterflies, a friend to all, party animal, chatter-boxes. Call them what you will, those with extraverted personalities seek out and enjoy social stimulation. Learn more about what makes an extravert in this lesson.
13. Incongruence in Psychology: Definition & Overview
In this lesson, you will learn what incongruence in psychology is and who first introduced the concept. Additionally, you will learn about incongruence as it applies to therapy, communication and the theory of self.
14. The Id: Definition & Examples
The id is one of the three components of personality in Freud's psychoanalytic theory. Learn the characteristics of the id in this lesson, and discover how it interacts with the other components of personality.
15. Twin Studies on Personality
How much of your personality is shaped by your genes? Your environment? As part of the ongoing nature versus nurture debate, one of the most conclusive types of research on the subject is twin studies on personality. Read on to find out how genes and the environment can influence your personality.
16. Isabel Briggs Myers: Biography, Test & Quotes
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is one of the most popular personality inventory tests, used in schools and companies throughout the world. In this lesson, we'll learn about its co-creator - Isabel Briggs Myers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Psychology: Homework Help Resource course
- History and Approaches: Homework Help
- Biological Bases of Behavior: Homework Help
- Sensation and Perception: Homework Help
- States of Consciousness: Homework Help
- Learning: Homework Help
- Cognition: Homework Help
- Motivation and Emotion: Homework Help
- Developmental Psychology: Homework Help
- Intro to Social Psychology: Homework Help
- Psychological Disorders and Health: Homework Help
- Psychological Treatments: Homework Help
- Statistics, Tests and Measurement: Homework Help