About This Chapter
Persuasion in Negotiation - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our instructors have developed entertaining video lessons that closely examine persuasive communication, attitude inoculation, cognitive dissonance and other concepts related to persuasion in negotiation. These videos are available around-the-clock, making it easy to fit your study sessions into a busy schedule. If you scroll below the videos, you'll find full written transcripts that let you print the lessons as texts or read them online. Accompanying these lessons are self-assessment quizzes designed to gauge your comprehension of the lesson contents. Taking advantage of these resources will enable you to:
- List and describe four classic persuasion techniques
- Discuss theories, skills and techniques of persuasive communication
- Define and describe the theory of cognitive dissonance in psychology
- Identify and discuss persuasive strategies in business communication
- Explain how attitudes and persuasion are influenced by emotion
- Share internal and external factors that influence attitudes
- Provide the definition and examples of attitude inoculation
1. Types of Persuasion Techniques: How to Influence People
It's easy to underestimate just how frequently we are affected by persuasion techniques. In this lesson, we discuss four of the classics: low-balling, foot-in-the-door, door-in-the-face, and scarcity. We also define and discuss reactance theory in relation to scarcity.
2. Persuasive Communication: Theories, Skills & Techniques
Persuasive communication can be an effective way to change the minds and behaviors of those with whom you disagree. In this lesson, you'll learn about cognitive dissonance theory and the rational model of persuasion and how to apply them.
3. The Theory of Cognitive Dissonance in Psychology
What happens when a person's beliefs and actions don't line up? And how do people deal with their feelings when that happens? Explore this lesson for information on psychologist Leon Festinger's theory of cognitive dissonance.
4. Persuasive Strategies in Business Communication
In today's business workplace, there is a need for individuals to be able to write effective persuasive messages in order to gain a support for action. There are three specific persuasive strategies that individuals can utilize in the workplace.
5. How Emotion Influences Attitudes and Persuasion
Emotions can be used to induce attitude change in a number of ways. In this lesson, we discuss how they can be used within persuasive communication to illicit both short-term and long-term attitude change.
6. Attitudes: Components, Formation & Measurement
Have you ever wondered how your attitudes are formed and how they affect your behavior? In this lesson, we'll take a look at some of the internal and external factors that form our attitudes and how our behavior can be affected or changed by various influences.
7. Attitude Inoculation: Definition, Explanation & Examples
Every day, other people try to persuade us into changing our attitudes and behavior. In this lesson, we discuss a couple of ways to resist persuasion - using attitude inoculation, in particular. We define attitude inoculation and explain how it can prevent attitude change in spite of persuasion efforts.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 319: Negotiations & Conflict Management course
- Introduction to Negotiation & Conflict Management
- Negotiation Terminology & Process
- Distributive & Integrative Bargaining
- Conflict Resolutions
- Collaborative Problem Solving & Decision Making
- Negotiation Strategies, Perception & Bias
- Communication & Negotiation
- Types of Negotiations
- International Negotiation
- Required Assignments for Business 319
- Studying for Business 319