About This Chapter
Persuasive Communication in Sales - Chapter Summary
Use this comprehensive sales training chapter to show your sales staff the elements of persuasive communication. Using an engaging and simple teaching style, our instructors explore a variety of persuasive communication theories, techniques, methods and strategies.
The chapter can be accessed at any time, and your sales staff can review the material on any Internet-connected device. If your employees have questions about the material, they can reach out to our instructors online.
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: The chapter helps sales professionals become aware of persuasive communication theories and concepts.
- Describes the purpose of influence and persuasion: Sales professionals will see why influence and persuasion are essential in sales.
- Improves persuasion skills : Salespeople who finish the chapter will become better-skilled at persuading clients and making sales.
By the end of the chapter, sales professionals should be able to:
- Assess basic theories, skills and techniques in persuasive communication
- Explain why influence is an important part of sales and negotiations
- Differentiate between influence/persuasion and coercion/manipulation
- Persuade audiences by using anecdotes
- Recognize/overcome obstacles that might limit persuasion
- Evaluate the application of inoculation theory in sales
1. Persuasive Communication: Theories, Skills & Techniques
Persuasive communication can be an effective way to change the minds and behaviors of those with whom you disagree. In this lesson, you'll learn about cognitive dissonance theory and the rational model of persuasion and how to apply them.
2. Influence & Persuasion vs. Coercion & Manipulation
Are you more of an influencer or a manipulator? In this lesson, you'll learn more about influence, persuasion, coercion, and manipulation and how your intentions may dictate which behavior you choose.
3. Using Anecdotes to Persuade an Audience
In this lesson, you're going to learn about anecdotes. First, you'll learn what they are. Then, you'll learn some tips on how to formulate good ones for yourself. Finally, you'll learn why they're effective tools of persuasion.
4. Inoculation Theory & Sales Application
This lesson discusses the fundamental concepts of inoculation theory. In addition to what this is, we'll go over an example of it in the world of sales.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.