About This Chapter
PERT: Solving Linear & Quadratic Equations - Chapter Summary
Get the practice you need in solving linear and quadratic equations as you prepare to answer related questions on the PERT test. Review the lessons in this chapter, and in no time you will be ready to:
- Showcase your understanding of linear equations
- Use linear equations to solve problems
- Solve linear inequalities and linear equations with literal coefficients
- Exhibit how to solve simultaneous linear equations and linear equations with two variables
- Graph and solve one-variable inequalities
- Share your understanding of quadratic equations
- Use factoring to solve quadratic equations and factor out variables
Expert instructors provide you with the definitions and examples you need to confidently perform mathematical operations on the exam. If you need to visit specific portions of the lessons, take advantage of convenient timelines with clickable links that allow you to identify and skip to each lesson's key topics.
PERT: Solving Linear & Quadratic Equations Objectives
The PERT test is a Florida high school graduation requirement and is given to 11th-grade students as a way to gauge their college readiness, while helping to determine students' course placement. The computer-adaptive test consists of 3 subtests for reading, math and writing. Each subtest features 30 multiple-choice questions and is scored individually.
Topics in this Solving Linear and Quadratic Equations chapter are found on the math subtest, which requires a minimum cut score of 114. Not earning this minimum score could mean being placed in a remedial class in the 12th grade. To increase your chances of passing this subtest, review the short videos in this chapter. You can test your comprehension of lesson concepts with self-assessment quizzes and a chapter exam. If you have any questions about lesson topics, submit them to experts who are ready to assist.
1. What is a Linear Equation?
Most cars won't be able to run for more than 250,000 miles, so how much longer will your car live? Linear Equations are the most basic kind of algebraic function and can help you answer questions exactly like this. Learn about what they look like, how they come up in your life and why they are powerful tools.
2. Problem solving using Linear Equations
From sale prices to trip distances, many real life problems can be solved using linear equations. In this lesson, we'll practice translating word problems into linear equations, then solving the problems.
3. Linear Inequality: Solving, Graphing & Problems
If you can solve linear equations, you can solve linear inequalities. In this lesson, you will learn how similar the solving processes are. You will also learn the notations you need to use when graphing linear inequalities.
4. Solving Linear Equations with Literal Coefficients
In this lesson, we'll literally learn about literal coefficients. We'll look at how to solve linear equations that contain literal coefficients and practice solving several problems.
5. Solving Simultaneous Linear Equations
In this video lesson, you will learn how to solve simultaneous linear equations or a system of linear equations. Learn the steps you need to take to solve any such system using the Gaussian elimination method.
6. How to Solve a System of Linear Equations in Two Variables
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve a system of linear equations in two variables by using the substitution method. Learn how easy it is to use on any linear system in two variables.
7. How to Solve and Graph One-Variable Inequalities
In this lesson, we will learn that solving inequalities is very similar to solving equations, but the solutions to inequalities are not so similar. Learn how to graph these solutions to better understand inequalities.
8. What is a Quadratic Equation? - Definition & Examples
You might be surprised to learn that quadratic equations are an important part of the world we live in. We sometimes even make use of them for our entertainment! Watch this video lesson to learn more about these equations.
9. How to Solve a Quadratic Equation by Factoring
If your favorite video game, 'Furious Fowls,' gave you the quadratic equation for each shot you made, would you be able to solve the equation to make sure every one hit its target? If not, you will after watching this video!
10. Factoring Out Variables: Instructions & Examples
Let's find the factors. In this lesson, we'll learn how to factor out numbers or variables from an expression. We'll even learn how to factor variables with exponents.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PERT: Practice & Study Guide course
- PERT: Basic Math Operations & Algorithms
- PERT: Algebraic Expressions
- PERT: Polynomials, Binomials & Monomials
- PERT: Graphing Linear Equations
- PERT: Reading Comprehension
- PERT: Analyzing Written Arguments
- PERT: Writing Essays
- PERT: Using & Citing Sources
- PERT: Writing Persuasive Arguments
- PERT: Basic Punctuation & Grammar
- PERT: Sentence Structure
- PERT Flashcards