About This Chapter
Phase Changes for Liquids & Solids - Chapter Summary
Watch these lesson videos to improve your understanding of the properties of solids and liquids, and the phase changes between solids and liquids. Our professional instructors will explain the different processes of phase changes and the use of phase diagrams and unit cells to depict them. By exploring the lessons, you should develop a better understanding of:
- Properties of solids and liquids, and the kinetic molecular theory
- Critical points, triple points, and phase equilibrium boundaries of phase diagrams
- Evaporation, condensation, freezing, melting, sublimation and deposition
- Equations for the heat of fusion and heat of vaporization
- Differences between phase diagrams of water and other substances
- Unit cells and crystal structures
Take the quizzes after going through the lessons in order to test your understanding of the material presented in them. These short self-assessment quizzes will help you identify topics you don't understand, and you can use video tags to look at specific scenes. Request assistance from the instructors if necessary.
1. The Kinetic Molecular Theory: Properties of Solids and Liquids
This lesson explores the kinetic molecular theory and how it pertains to the properties of solids and liquids. You'll learn the properties of solids and liquids, discover the types of intermolecular attractions that occur between them and gain an understanding how phase changes happen.
2. Phase Diagrams: Critical Point, Triple Point and Phase Equilibrium Boundaries
Learn what a phase diagram is and how to interpret phase diagrams. Discover how to use a phase diagram to locate the phase equilibrium boundaries. Also, learn what a triple point and critical point are and how to locate them on a phase diagram.
3. Phase Change: Evaporation, Condensation, Freezing, Melting, Sublimation & Deposition
Substances on Earth can exist in one of four phases, but mostly, they exist in one of three: solid, liquid or gas. Learn the six changes of phase: freezing, melting, condensation, vaporization, sublimation and deposition.
4. Heat of Fusion & Heat of Vaporization: Definitions & Equations
When a substance changes states, like from a solid to a liquid, a lot is happening. This lesson will examine the heat of fusion and the heat of vaporization. It will also explain both formulas.
5. Phase Diagram of Water vs Other Substances: Differences & Meaning
Phase diagrams give scientists specific information about how phase changes occur at different pressures and temperatures. This lesson examines phase diagrams, focusing on water and how it's a little different from most other substances.
6. Crystal Structures and the Unit Cell
This crystallography lesson explores the structure and properties of crystals. You'll learn about the parts of a crystal structure, types of crystals and patterns created by unit cells.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NMTA Middle Grades General Science (204): Practice & Study Guide course
- Safety Procedures and Hazards in Scientific Research
- The History and Nature of Science
- Principles and Procedures of Scientific Inquiry
- Using Math in Science
- Introduction to Matter
- Organization of Matter
- Atomic Structure & Nuclear Chemistry
- Chemical Bonds & Reactions
- The Periodic Table
- Elements, Compounds & Mixtures
- Simple Compounds & Chemical Formulas
- Rates of Reaction
- Work, Energy, & Power in Physics
- Electricity, Potential & Capacitance in Physics
- Newton's Laws & Gravity
- Understanding Fluids in Physics
- Waves, Sound, and Light
- Overview of Cell Structure & Function
- Cellular Respiration & Photosynthesis
- Mitosis & Meiosis
- Animal Reproduction and Development
- Male Reproductive System
- Female Reproductive System
- Physiology I: The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems
- Physiology II: The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems
- Plant Biology
- Plant Reproduction and Growth
- Plant & Fungi Structures & Functions
- Mendelian Genetics & Mechanisms of Heredity
- The Nucleotide Structure of DNA & RNA
- Processes & Steps of DNA Replication
- The Transcription and Translation Process
- Evolution: Theories and Principles
- Classification of Organisms
- The Origin and History of Life On Earth
- Understanding Ecosystems
- Earth's Formation & Plate Tectonics
- Minerals and Rocks
- Weathering and Erosion
- The Hydrosphere
- Coastal Features & Adaptation
- The Atmosphere
- Weather and Storms
- The Solar System and Universe
- NMTA Middle Grades General Science Flashcards