About This Chapter
Phobias Overview - Chapter Summary
Engaging lessons in this chapter provide in-depth analyses of a variety of phobia topics. Access these lessons anytime to boost your comprehension of social phobias, factors that influence phobias, treatment options and much more. Upon completion of this chapter, you will have the knowledge to:
- Explain what it means to have a phobia
- Differentiate between specific and social phobias, and discuss their causes and treatments
- List biopsychosocial factors of phobias
- Define and describe the concept of exposure therapy for phobias
This chapter is filled with user-friendly resources that simplify the process of understanding phobias. In addition to exploring entertaining video and text lessons, take multiple-choice quizzes and a chapter exam to assess your comprehension of phobias. Send any questions you have about lesson topics to our experts. Track your progress through this chapter and easily revisit lessons you've recently reviewed using the Dashboard.
1. What Is Phobia? - Definition & Overview
What does it mean to have a phobia? Is it possible to be afraid of abstract things like opinions or phobias themselves, or is it all a bunch of pseudopsychology? Read on to learn about the qualifications of phobias.
2. Specific and Social Phobias: Definition, Causes and Treatment
What are the similarities and differences between specific and social phobias? This lesson will explore this question, as well as the causes of, and treatments for, both types of phobias.
3. Biopsychosocial Factors of Phobias
This lesson discusses the biopsychosocial model of phobias. Phobia and anxiety are defined, as well as the model itself. The model is then broken down into its three components, and each is related to how a phobia is created.
4. Exposure Therapy for Phobias: Definition & Concept
In this lesson, you'll learn what a phobia is and how it can be treated with exposure therapy. The lesson includes a concrete example of the therapeutic process for treating a fear of flying, and it also includes a quiz to help you evaluate your level of understanding.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the VCE Psychology: Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- The Brain's Role in Mental Processes
- Brain Structure & Function
- Brain Plasticity & Damage
- Understanding The Nervous System
- Nervous System Functioning
- Technology & the Brain
- Psychological Development in Childhood
- Atypical Psychological Development
- Thoughts, Emotions & Behavior
- Sensation & Perception Overview
- Cognition & Intelligence
- Social Cognition Overview
- Social Influences on Behavior
- Understanding Stress
- Models of Learning
- Understanding Memory
- Consciousness & Sleep
- Mental Health Disorders Overview
- Mental Health Maintenance
- Psychological Studies
- Communication Skills for Psychology
- VCE Psychology Flashcards