About This Chapter
Phrases and Clauses in English - Chapter Summary
This chapter looks at well-known clause types and their components, which include the predicate and the subject. The lessons highlight the use of independent and dependent clauses so that you can better identify errors in grammar. The significance of the comma as it relates to clauses is emphasized. Study the lessons for assistance with:
- Defining and contrasting clauses and phrases
- Describing the characteristics of dependent and independent clauses
- Discovering the rules for combining independent and dependent clauses
A set of instructor-delivered lessons make up this chapter. Use them to expand your understanding of phrases and clauses in English. Watch the online lessons at your convenience or read the text transcripts on the above topics. The material is available around the clock and can be accessed with the help of your desktop computer, laptop or other technology. Your submitted questions will be answered by the experts. The included quizzes can be re-taken as necessary. You might also print the results and the corresponding worksheets for use as study tools.
1. What is a Clause?
In this lesson, we will define what a clause is. We will then look at the different types of clauses, define each of the types, provide some examples of each, and then discuss why they are important in our writing.
2. What is a Phrase?
In this lesson, we will define a phrase. We will then discuss the different kinds of phrases, look at examples of each, and then discuss how to use them correctly in writing.
3. Independent & Dependent Clauses: Subordination & Coordination
This lesson is about independent and dependent clauses, and how they make up a sentence. Dependent clauses, like the name suggests, rely on other elements in a sentence. Independent clauses, on the other hand, can stand alone. Learn more in this lesson.
4. Combining Dependent & Independent Clauses
Clauses are a great mystery to many people when dealing with our written language. Watch this video lesson to discover clauses and also to learn how to combine clauses correctly.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ORELA Middle Grades English Language Arts: Practice & Study Guide course
- Reading Foundations
- Structure, Analysis & Word Meanings in English
- Strategies for Acquiring New Vocabulary in English
- Figures of Speech & Meaning
- Reading and Comprehension Strategies
- Organization of Written Works
- Climax & Plot in Written Works
- Themes in Written Works
- Types of Literary Fiction
- Essay Types & Literary Genres
- Significant Authors, Poets & Literary Works
- Points of View in Literature
- Strategies for Reading Informational Texts
- Strategies for Reading Persuasive Texts
- Analyzing & Interpreting Nonfiction
- Analyzing & Interpreting Literary Fiction
- Analyzing & Interpreting Literary Drama
- Analyzing & Interpreting Poetry
- Analyzing & Interpreting Prose
- Noun & Verb Usage in the English Language
- Types of Sentences in English
- Modifiers in the English Language
- Grammar Conventions in English
- Comma Rules in English
- Spelling Rules in English
- Precision & Clarity in Writing
- Descriptive Writing Basics
- Effective Composition Writing
- The Writing Process
- Research Writing
- Narrative Writing Strategies
- Expository Writing Strategies
- Persuasive Writing Strategies
- Effective Listening Strategies
- Public Speaking Strategies
- Viewing & Presenting Images
- ORELA Middle Grades English Language Arts Flashcards