About This Chapter
Phylogeny and Organism Classification - Chapter Summary
With the vast amount of living organisms, scientists have organized them into groups that share similar characteristics. This process is often referred to as phylogeny and organism classification. These lessons guide you through the steps necessary for understanding the classification process, including a review of taxonomic naming and useful diagrams.
We design our chapters to give you personalized help. We break up our chapters into multiple lessons, and each lesson only focuses on a single topic, making it easy for you to find the specific information you need. Pick and choose the lessons you want to go over, or watch all the lessons in the chapter back to back. As everything we offer is online, you can always come back for a quick recap. Topics covered in this chapter are as follows:
- Phylogenetic trees
1. Taxonomy: Classification and Naming of Living Things
The name you give to a living thing may be completely different than the name someone else uses. In science, we use a common naming system for all living things to avoid confusion. This lesson will explore the basics of our classification system.
2. Cladograms and Phylogenetic Trees: Evolution Classifications
Family trees help show how people are related to each other. Similarly, scientists use cladograms and phylogenetic trees to study the relationships between organisms.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Biology 101: Intro to Biology course
- Basic Terms & Skills in Biological Science
- Inorganic Chemistry Review for Biology
- Introduction to Organic Molecules & Heterotrophs
- The Nucleotide Structure of DNA & RNA
- Enzyme Function, Interactions & Regulation
- Cell Membrane Model, Components & Transport
- Cell Structure, Organelles & Organelle Functions
- Processes & Steps of DNA Replication
- Transcription, Translation & Protein Synthesis
- Types & Effects of Genetic Mutations
- Cellular Metabolism & Respiration
- Cell Growth & The Process of Cell Division
- The Musculoskeletal, Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive & Excretory Systems
- The Nervous System & Endocrine System
- Reproduction, Development & Survival in Animals
- Mendelian Genetics & Mechanisms of Heredity
- Ecology Principles & Community Ecology
- Evolutionary Principles & Natural Selection
- Earth's Timeline & Geological Evolution
- Genetic Engineering & DNA Sequencing
- Studying for Biology 101