About This Chapter
Physical Activity, Exercise & Fitness- Chapter Summary
Our professional and knowledgeable instructors will walk you through the lessons in this chapter. You will look at topics on exercise and fitness. Specific topics you will become familiar with include:
- Overload principle and specificity principle
- The amount and type of physical activity needed through different stages of life
- Goals of exercise physiology
- Stretching, strength training and aerobic exercises
- SMART approach
- Relationship between fat and lean tissue
- Benefits of physical fitness
- Fitness and health promotion and education
The lessons and quizzes in this chapter will aid you in your review of these physical education topics. The quizzes will allow you to make sure you are retaining the material that is taught in the lessons. After you complete all of the lessons, make sure you take the chapter exam. This comprehensive exam will cover all the major concepts taught in the chapter. This will give you a good indication as to whether or not you are ready to move forward to other chapters.
1. Physical Activity: Health, Fitness and Performance
Physical activity is any movement of your muscles that uses energy. Physical activity helps you achieve better health, fitness and performance. Learn how the overload principle and specificity principle improve your fitness and performance.
2. How Physical Activity Changes Throughout Life
The amount and type of physical activity that people engage in changes throughout life. In this lesson, we'll explore how physical activity changes throughout the different life stages, from infancy to late adulthood.
3. Exercise Physiology: Definition & Goals
In this lesson, you will learn about exercise physiology and the role it plays in fitness. You'll also learn about the areas of specialization and goals of exercise physiology.
4. Components of Exercise Programs: Aerobics, Strength Training & Stretching
Ever wonder what stretching, strength training, and aerobic exercises are? You'll learn about them in this lesson. You'll also find out what some basic recommendations are for each type of exercise.
5. How to Establish & Monitor Fitness Goals
Confused about how to establish, monitor, and achieve your fitness and nutrition goals? This lesson explains how to use the SMART approach to successfully manage these important objectives.
6. Body Composition Estimations: Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis & Waist-to-Hip Ratio
Your body composition is the relative proportions of fat and lean tissue found on your body. Learn how body composition is evaluated using methods such as bioelectrical impedance analysis and the waist-to-hip ratio.
7. Integrating Fitness into Daily Life
Physical fitness offers many benefits. This lesson will discuss some ways for integrating fitness into your daily life, including the use of technology to keep you on track.
8. Promoting Fitness & Health Opportunities
In this lesson, you'll learn about health promotion, what professional services may be available to students to promote health, and how students can help one another to become healthier.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Physical Education EC-12 (158): Practice & Study Guide course
- Motor Skill Development in Children
- Biomechanical Principles
- Sports & Recreational Activities
- Softball Rules & Skills
- Soccer History & Rules
- Volleyball History & Rules
- Individual, Dual & Team Sports Skills
- Individual, Dual & Team Sports & Games
- Cardiovascular Fitness
- Muscular Strength & Flexibility in Fitness
- Health & Wellness in Childhood & Adolescence
- Nutrition & Health for Children
- Instructional Pedagogy
- Role of Physical Education in Student Learning
- Physical Education Teacher Planning & Instruction
- Positive Physical Education Learning Environments
- Physical Education Program Goals & Administration
- Effective Communication in Physical Education Classrooms
- Student Assessment Types
- Student Assessment in Special Education
- Using Technology in Physical Education
- Professional Development for Physical Education Teachers
- Laws & Legislation Affecting Physical Education
- Safety & First Aid for the Physical Education Classroom
- TExES Physical Education EC-12 Flashcards