About This Chapter
Physical Activity & Fitness - Chapter Summary
If you need to call to mind all the important details about physical activity and fitness, then take some time to explore the information in this chapter. Some of the topics you will find include aerobic endurance development, daily fitness integration, and physical activity benefits. If you look through the lesson menu, you will notice that other review topics are as follows:
- Physical activity major concepts
- Progression of physical activity over time
- Stretching, strength training, and aerobics components
- Different levels of cardiorespiratory activities
- Examples and benefits of anaerobic exercise
- Exercises and stretches to increase flexibility
- Developing and recording fitness goals
- Theories and terms related to body composition
- Skill-related and health-related fitness
Our instructors have developed this information as a way to prepare you for any upcoming exams, so you can be certain that the most relevant information will be covered. After all, our instructors have extensive experience in this field, so they know what you will be tested on. More importantly, our instructors know how to review the information in a way that works for you.
One of the things our instructors pride themselves on is building manageable lessons. They don't want you to walk away overloaded with information that you won't remember later. Instead, they have designed brief lessons that let you examine the details of one topic before moving on to the next topic. Our instructors even incorporate lesson quizzes that let you assess how much information you are retaining.
1. Physical Activity: Health, Fitness and Performance
Physical activity is any movement of your muscles that uses energy. Physical activity helps you achieve better health, fitness and performance. Learn how the overload principle and specificity principle improve your fitness and performance.
2. The Benefits of Regular Physical Activity: Mental Health, Stress & Life Span
The mind and body can greatly benefit from even 30 minutes of exercise a day. Find out exactly what impact regular exercise can have on your mind, body, and lifespan in this video lesson.
3. How Physical Activity Changes Throughout Life
The amount and type of physical activity that people engage in changes throughout life. In this lesson, we'll explore how physical activity changes throughout the different life stages, from infancy to late adulthood.
4. Components of Exercise Programs: Aerobics, Strength Training & Stretching
Ever wonder what stretching, strength training, and aerobic exercises are? You'll learn about them in this lesson. You'll also find out what some basic recommendations are for each type of exercise.
5. Cardiorespiratory Fitness Activities for Various Levels
Cardiorespiratory fitness is important at all ages and at all levels of development. This lesson will explore the many different types of fitness activities for various levels of fitness. We will end with a brief quiz to test what you have learned.
6. Developing Aerobic Endurance
What is aerobic endurance, and how do you increase this metric that is beneficial for so many sports? This lesson describes its basic principles and outlines how to develop skills and ensure safety while practicing.
7. Anaerobic Exercise: Definition, Benefits & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about anaerobic exercise and its health benefits. In addition, you will obtain knowledge of the various types of anaerobic workouts.
8. Flexibility in Fitness: Definition, Stretches & Exercises
Flexibility is important in fitness because it allows for better performance when playing sports or exercising, and during your day-to-day activities, it makes bending, walking, and lifting easier. In this lesson, you will learn how stretching and certain types of exercises can help improve flexibility.
9. How to Establish & Monitor Fitness Goals
Confused about how to establish, monitor, and achieve your fitness and nutrition goals? This lesson explains how to use the SMART approach to successfully manage these important objectives.
10. Body Composition Estimations: Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis & Waist-to-Hip Ratio
Your body composition is the relative proportions of fat and lean tissue found on your body. Learn how body composition is evaluated using methods such as bioelectrical impedance analysis and the waist-to-hip ratio.
11. Integrating Fitness into Daily Life
Physical fitness offers many benefits. This lesson will discuss some ways for integrating fitness into your daily life, including the use of technology to keep you on track.
12. Health-Related & Skill-Related Physical Fitness
In this lesson, you will learn about the difference between health-related physical fitness and skill-related physical fitness. You will also gain a clear understanding of the characteristics that are health-related or skill-related.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Physical Education K-12 (063): Practice & Study Guide course
- History & Philosophy of Physical Education
- Physical Education Curriculum Development
- Instructional Strategies for Physical Education
- Human Growth & Development
- Motor Skills & Movement Activities
- Basic Principles of Nutrition
- Anatomy & Exercise Physiology
- Health & Wellness Basics
- Cognitive & Socioemotional Benefits of Physical Activity
- Assessment in Physical Education
- Sports & Recreation
- Professional Development for Physical Education Teachers
- Using Technology in Physical Education
- FTCE Physical Education K-12 Flashcards