About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering life span developmental psychology material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn life span developmental psychology. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding puberty or other topics related to physical and sexual development in adolescence
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning psychology (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about physical and sexual development in adolescence
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra psychology learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Physical and Sexual Development in Adolescence chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Physical and Sexual Development in Adolescence chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question on physical or sexual development in adolescence. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a physical and sexual development in adolescence unit of a standard life span developmental psychology course. Topics covered include:
- Sexual development and maturation of adolescents
- Gender differences in development
- Health and fitness during this period
- Sexuality in adolescence
- Issues related to adolescents' sexual behaviors
1. Physical Growth in Adolescence
Adolescents go through many physical changes. Watch this lesson to find out some of the physical developments that happen during adolescence, including those related to puberty, growth spurts and gender differences in growth.
2. Sexual Development and Maturation of the Adolescent
In this lesson, explore the changes that take place during puberty. You will meet Dick and Jane as they experience these changes, and you will be able to test your knowledge with a quiz at the end.
3. Health and Fitness in Adolescence
Adolescence is a time of great physical change. However, many adolescents struggle with weight. Watch this lesson to learn more about those weight issues, including how they can fight obesity and issues with eating disorders.
4. The Secular Trend in Growth and Puberty Development
Teenagers go through dramatic physical changes as a part of puberty. But something odd is happening: puberty is starting earlier each generation. In this lesson, we'll look at the secular trend of puberty and its possible causes.
5. Gender Differences in Adolescent Development
Adolescence is a time of growth and change. Some of these changes are different in boys and girls, though. In this lesson, we'll examine gender differences in emotional and brain development during adolescence.
6. Gender Identity in Adolescent Development
During adolescence, teens become more and more aware of their sexuality and what it means to be part of their gender. In this lesson, we'll explore how gender identity and sexual orientation develop in adolescence.
7. Sexuality in Adolescence: Attitudes, Behaviors, & Values
Puberty brings with it many changes, including new sexual feelings. Watch this lesson to find out more about sexual development in adolescence, including the differences in how early adolescents and later adolescents approach sexuality.
8. Influences of Sexual Harassment and Abuse on Adolescent Development
Amid the changes of adolescence, some teens struggle with sexual harassment. Watch this lesson to find out more about the types of sexual harassment, including sexual abuse and sexual bullying, and the effects they have on adolescents.
9. Issues Related to Sexual Behaviors in Adolescence
Adolescence is a time of great changes in a person's life, including many choices regarding sexual activity. Watch this lesson to find out about some of the issues that can come with being sexually active in adolescence.
10. Oral Fixation: Definition & Explanation
Freud proposed that we all go through stages of development tied to different parts of our bodies. Read on to find out about the oral fixation that could occur if we don't make it through the oral stage of development successfully.
11. Ambivalent Sexism: Definition & Inventory
Ambivalent sexism is a theoretical framework used to define the different behaviors and thoughts associated with sexism. This lesson will define ambivalent sexism and detail a measure used to assess an individual's attitudes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Life Span Developmental Psychology: Help and Review course
- Domains of Human Development: Help and Review
- Life Span Development Research Methods: Help & Review
- Help & Review for Life Span Developmental Psychology Foundations
- Impact of Genetics in Development & Psychology: Help & Review
- Prenatal Development Concepts: Help and Review
- Physical Development in Infancy and Toddlerhood: Help and Review
- Childbirth and Newborn Characteristics: Help and Review
- Help & Review for Cognitive & Psychosocial Development in Infants & Toddlers
- Help & Review for Physical & Cognitive Development in Early Childhood
- Psychosocial Development in Early Childhood: Help and Review
- Help & Review - Psychosocial & Physical Development in Middle Childhood
- Cognitive Development in Middle Childhood: Help and Review
- Psychosocial Development in Adolescence: Help and Review
- Help & Review for Physical & Cognitive Development in Early Adulthood
- Psychosocial Development in Early Adulthood: Help and Review
- Cognitive & Physical Development in Middle Adulthood: Help & Review
- Psychosocial Development in Middle Adulthood: Help and Review
- Physical Development in Late Adulthood: Help and Review
- Cognitive Development in Late Adulthood: Help & Review
- Death and Dying - Stages and Psychological Impact