About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other life span developmental psychology work.
- Identify the physical and sexual development in adolescence concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our life span developmental psychology tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about physical and sexual development in adolescence and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding trends in growth and maturation, gender differences, gender identity, the effects of sexual abuse on development, or any other topic related to physical and sexual development in adolescence
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their psychology learning
- Prefer learning psychology visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their physical and sexual development in adolescence unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in life span developmental psychology
- Don't have access to their psychology teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about physical and sexual development in adolescence simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live life span developmental psychology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about physical and sexual development in adolescence on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Discuss the process of physical growth in adolescence.
- Learn about sexual development and maturation in adolescence.
- Describe the importance of health and fitness in adolescence.
- Take a look at the secular trend in puberty growth and development.
- Understand gender differences in adolescent development.
- Explain how gender identity forms in adolescence.
- Discuss the attitudes, behaviors and values relating to sexuality in adolescence.
- Learn how sexual harassment and abuse affect adolescent development.
- Take a look at issues that can result from sexual behavior in adolescence.
1. Physical Growth in Adolescence
Adolescents go through many physical changes. Watch this lesson to find out some of the physical developments that happen during adolescence, including those related to puberty, growth spurts and gender differences in growth.
2. Sexual Development and Maturation of the Adolescent
In this lesson, explore the changes that take place during puberty. You will meet Dick and Jane as they experience these changes, and you will be able to test your knowledge with a quiz at the end.
3. Health and Fitness in Adolescence
Adolescence is a time of great physical change. However, many adolescents struggle with weight. Watch this lesson to learn more about those weight issues, including how they can fight obesity and issues with eating disorders.
4. The Secular Trend in Growth and Puberty Development
Teenagers go through dramatic physical changes as a part of puberty. But something odd is happening: puberty is starting earlier each generation. In this lesson, we'll look at the secular trend of puberty and its possible causes.
5. Gender Differences in Adolescent Development
Adolescence is a time of growth and change. Some of these changes are different in boys and girls, though. In this lesson, we'll examine gender differences in emotional and brain development during adolescence.
6. Gender Identity in Adolescent Development
During adolescence, teens become more and more aware of their sexuality and what it means to be part of their gender. In this lesson, we'll explore how gender identity and sexual orientation develop in adolescence.
7. Sexuality in Adolescence: Attitudes, Behaviors, & Values
Puberty brings with it many changes, including new sexual feelings. Watch this lesson to find out more about sexual development in adolescence, including the differences in how early adolescents and later adolescents approach sexuality.
8. Influences of Sexual Harassment and Abuse on Adolescent Development
Amid the changes of adolescence, some teens struggle with sexual harassment. Watch this lesson to find out more about the types of sexual harassment, including sexual abuse and sexual bullying, and the effects they have on adolescents.
9. Issues Related to Sexual Behaviors in Adolescence
Adolescence is a time of great changes in a person's life, including many choices regarding sexual activity. Watch this lesson to find out about some of the issues that can come with being sexually active in adolescence.
10. Secondary Sex Characteristics: Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, we will learn about secondary sex characteristics. We will define the term and examine how these characteristics are seen in humans as well as in various animals.
11. What is Puberty? - Stages, Changes & Growth
Did you know that there are five stages of puberty? Learn more about puberty, its stages, and the changes that occur during puberty. After you've finished the lesson, you can use our online quiz to test your own knowledge of this important stage of life.
12. What is Childhood Obesity? - Causes, Statistics & Prevention
You may have seen headlines concerning the steady rise of childhood obesity, but do you know what the term means or what causes it? This lesson takes a closer look at the issue of childhood obesity and helps you understand causes and prevention.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Life Span Developmental Psychology: Tutoring Solution course
- Domains of Human Development: Tutoring Solution
- Life Span Development Research Methods: Tutoring Solution
- Life Span Developmental Psychology Foundations: Tutoring Solution
- Genetics in Development & Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Prenatal Development Concepts: Tutoring Solution
- Childbirth and Newborn Characteristics: Tutoring Solution
- Physical Development in Infancy and Toddlerhood: Tutoring Solution
- Infant Cognitive & Psychosocial Development: Tutoring Solution
- Physical and Cognitive Development in Early Childhood: Tutoring Solution
- Psychosocial Development in Early Childhood: Tutoring Solution
- Physical & Psychosocial Development in Middle Childhood: Tutoring Solution
- Cognitive Development in Middle Childhood: Tutoring Solution
- Psychosocial Development in Adolescence: Tutoring Solution
- Physical and Cognitive Development in Early Adulthood: Tutoring Solution
- Psychosocial Development in Early Adulthood: Tutoring Solution
- Physical and Cognitive Development in Middle Adulthood: Tutoring Solution
- Psychosocial Development in Middle Adulthood: Tutoring Solution
- Physical Development in Late Adulthood: Tutoring Solution
- Late Adulthood Psychosocial & Cognitive Development: Tutoring Solution
- Death and Dying - Stages and Psychological Impact: Tutoring Solution
- Promoting Learning for All Students