About This Chapter
Physical Assessment Techniques - Chapter Summary
These lessons address significant information about physical assessment techniques. Topics covered include how to assess pain and monitor vital signs, such as respiration and pulse rate. The following subjects are detailed:
- Techniques nurses use for physical assessment
- Terms that are used to describe vital signs
- How to take vital signs
- Differences between assessing children and adults
- Methods for assessing flexibility
- Self-assessment methods
We have knowledgeable and professional instructors teaching the text and video lessons in this chapter. All of our lesson's resources are mobile device-friendly, meaning you can study at home or on the go, whenever it suits your schedule.
1. Techniques for Physical Assessment
In this lesson, we will identify the techniques used to complete a physical assessment. We will discuss the purpose for each technique as well as how they are performed to obtain a physical assessment.
2. Vital Signs: Basic Physical Exam Terminology
This lesson will cover the terms that are most commonly associated with taking vital signs as part of a basic physical exam. We will look at the normal ranges for vital signs and discuss the terms for abnormal vital signs.
3. What Are Vital Signs? - Definition & How to Take Them
In this lesson, you will learn about vital signs. Included will be an example, the definition of vital signs and the processes of taking vital signs. Also, a quiz is provided to assist you with this lesson.
4. Assessing Pain & Discomfort Levels in Patients
You are caring for someone who tells you they are experiencing pain. Is it really pain and how can you tell? The purpose of this lesson is to give you some guidelines as well as signs and symptoms that will alert you to whether or not a patient requires medication for pain.
5. Techniques for Assessing Patient Illness
Nurses and doctors work closely together to assess patients for illness. In this lesson, we will learn about the different techniques that are used to assess patient illness.
6. Assessing Flexibility: Techniques, Resources & Self-Assessment
In this lesson, we assess flexibility and discuss resources and techniques for doing so. We also review methodologies for self-assessment. We elaborate on seven of the most popular tests that are available to measure flexibility.
7. Assessing Cardiorespiratory Fitness: Techniques & Resources
In this lesson we review ways to assess cardiorespiratory fitness. We describe the resources and techniques utilized to perform these tests and monitor endurance levels. We also elaborate on self-assessment techniques as well.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NCLEX-RN Study Guide & Practice course
- The Profession of Nursing
- Legal Aspects of Nursing
- Nursing Communication & Patient Rights
- Communication & Interpersonal Relations in Nursing
- Safety & Security in Nursing
- Infection Control & Sterilization
- The Aging Process
- Pregnancy & Newborn Care
- Understanding Human Development
- Disease Prevention & Health Screening
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices
- Recognizing Abuse & Neglect
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Substance Dependence Disorders
- Crisis Situations & Intervention
- End of Life Care
- Mental Health Concepts
- Religious & Spiritual Influences on Health
- Sensory & Perceptual Development
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Health Care Support Systems
- Understanding Elimination in Nursing
- Assistive Devices & Mobility
- Hygiene for Nurses
- Understanding Rest & Sleep for Nurses
- Medication Administration & Nursing
- Understanding Pain & Pain Management for Nurses
- Nutrition Essentials for Nursing
- Clinical Test Results - Cells and Blood Proteins: Help and Review
- Diagnostics, Testing & Procedures for Nursing
- Alterations of the Musculoskeletal System
- Fluid & Electrolyte Balance Concerns in Nursing
- Understanding Oxygenation in Nursing
- Illness Management for Nurses
- Medical Emergencies for Nurses
- The Basic Components of Pathophysiology
- About the NCLEX Tests