About This Chapter
Physical Development, Health & Fitness - Chapter Summary
Health and fitness are priorities across the lifespan, but this chapter focuses on their importance during childhood and adolescence. Let our professional instructors refresh your knowledge of the roles of health and fitness in minors' physical development. Take a look at the importance of good nutrition in preventing childhood obesity and see how exercise impacts the brain. After finishing the chapter's video lessons, you should be able to:
- Describe physical development in early and middle childhood
- Discuss health and safety concerns in early childhood
- Explain the importance of nutrition and exercise in middle childhood
- List physical changes adolescents experience
- Understand the roles of fitness and nutrition during adolescence
- Identify exercise's benefits for developing brains
Our video lessons are fun, short and full of engaging visuals and examples. We include video tags so that you can easily rewatch key points without having to sit through entire lessons multiple times. If you like to study from text, we also provide transcripts of all lessons. Take the self-assessment lesson quizzes once you've studied to gauge your understanding of the material.
1. Physical Development in Early Childhood
Between the ages of two and seven, children grow and develop dramatically. Watch this lesson to look at some of the physical developments in early childhood, including balance, fine motor coordination and brain development.
2. Nutrition, Health, and Safety in Early Childhood
As children grow and develop, so do threats to their health. From nutrition and childhood obesity to accidents, this lesson will explore the issues that face children in early childhood and what parents can do to deal with them.
3. Physical Development in Middle Childhood
Between the ages of seven and twelve, children physically grow and change in ways that influence every part of their lives. In this lesson, we'll look at the ways that physical and brain development impact emotional and intellectual abilities.
4. Health and Fitness in Middle Childhood
The United States is facing a crisis of childhood obesity. But how can we fight this epidemic? Watch this video to learn about how children grow in middle childhood and how fitness and nutrition can help with the problem of obesity.
5. Physical Growth in Adolescence
Adolescents go through many physical changes. Watch this lesson to find out some of the physical developments that happen during adolescence, including those related to puberty, growth spurts and gender differences in growth.
6. Health and Fitness in Adolescence
Adolescence is a time of great physical change. However, many adolescents struggle with weight. Watch this lesson to learn more about those weight issues, including how they can fight obesity and issues with eating disorders.
7. The Benefits of Exercise on the Developing Brain
The brain continues to change as you age and develop. This lesson examines the interaction of exercise with the brain, and subsequent changes to cognition.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Physical Education (5091): Practice & Study Guide course
- Introduction to Physical Education
- Motor Skills & Movement Activities
- Kinesiology & Biomechanics
- Physical Education & Weight Management
- Functions of the Cardiorespiratory System
- Muscular System Functions
- Gross Anatomy of the Muscular System
- Connective Tissue Overview
- Human Skeletal System
- Softball Rules & Skills
- Soccer History & Rules
- Swimming Skills & Benefits
- Tennis Rules & Techniques
- History & Rules of Track & Field
- Volleyball History & Rules
- Cognitive Influences on Learning
- Behavioral Influences on Learning
- Student Learning & Motivation
- Managing the Physical Education Classroom
- Communication in Physical Education Settings
- Planning & Instruction in Physical Education
- Student Assessment Types
- Measurement & Analysis for Student Assessments
- Student Assessment in Special Education
- Collaboration, Reflection & Technology in Physical Education
- Praxis Physical Education Flashcards