About This Chapter
Physical Education Programs - Chapter Summary
Get up to speed concerning physical education programs by opening this chapter and reviewing the connected lessons. The information in these lessons help you recall the definition of physical education, remember the components of a typical physical education class, and review the protocols for supervising students in these types of classes. Other topics addressed in this chapter include:
- Physical education program development and implementation
- State and national standards for PE program design
- PE programs centered on students
- Developments and trends in physical education
- Laws and other issues affecting PE activities
- Legal considerations and liability
- Physical activity student management techniques
- PE classes and equitable learning
As you use our materials to cram for an upcoming exam, remember that each of our video lessons comes equipped with a lesson transcript. These transcripts provide all of the video information in a readable format, allowing you to scan over the information quickly. Each transcript is organized with major concept headers, making the transcript navigation process even easier.
If you enjoy our lesson transcripts, you will also like the article-style lessons included in many chapters. These lessons read a lot like a blog or an online magazine article. They provide the pertinent information about the given topic of the lesson, and it is all presented in an organized, linear fashion. Key terms are set off in bold letters, so you instantly know the vocabulary words. Graphics are often included in our article-style lessons, since these visual aids can help further explain major concepts.
1. What is Physical Education? - Definition & Overview
In this lesson you will learn about physical education and how it contributes to total growth and development in youth. You will also gain an understanding of what a quality physical education program looks like.
2. Identifying, Developing & Implementing Physical Education Programs
In this lesson, we discuss ways to identify, develop, and implement programs of physical education, along with meeting instructional objectives and goals.
3. Designing PE Programs Based on National & State Standards
This lesson will teach you how to design effective standardized physical education programs. It'll guide you through the process of backwards planning and evaluating to create the depth and order of the content.
4. Student-Centered Physical Education Programs
In this lesson, you'll learn about the concept of student-centered learning and how it applies to physical education. You'll also learn about the goals of, and potential issues with, this approach.
5. Trends, Issues & Developments in Physical Education
In this lesson, we will look at the latest trends, common issues, and developments in physical education. We will look at how these things affect Physical Education today and in the future.
6. Issues, Trends & Laws Affecting Physical Education Activities
Physical education courses are a fundamental part of our nation's K-12 school programs. P.E. is a progressive field. This lesson discusses the current issues, trends, and laws affecting physical education activities.
7. Liability & Legal Considerations for Physical Education
In this lesson, you'll learn about the liability and legal considerations for physical education. Discover the common sources of legal liability and specific steps to take in order to reduce accidents and prevent possible legal issues.
8. Components of a Physical Education Class
In this lesson we explore the activities commonly included in many physical education curricula and how each one contributes to the overall physical health of each student.
9. How to Organize Students in a Physical Activity Setting
In this lesson, we discuss ways to organize students in physical activity settings, including three main keys to accomplishing these goals, and the importance of communication between the teacher and the students.
10. Equitable Learning Experiences in Physical Education Classes
Ensuring equity in education is important to teachers and policymakers. This lesson discusses what it means to think about equitable learning experiences, specifically in the context of physical education classes.
11. Student Supervision in Physical Education Classes
Student supervision in the Physical Education setting is especially important. This lesson looks at all aspects of providing proper supervision to students.
12. How to Allocate & Manage Resources in P.E. Programs
As a PE teacher, you have many different materials and human resources to think about and manage. This lesson discusses some of the concepts and strategies you can use to help yourself allocate and manage these resources.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Health & Physical Education - Content Knowledge (5857): Practice & Study Guide course
- Health Programs in Education
- Health Models, Theories & Data
- Physical Fitness Overview
- Health & Wellness Overview
- Injury Prevention & Personal Safety
- Healthy Relationships & Effective Communication
- Human Body Overview
- Human Development
- Physiological Changes Throughout Life
- Mental, Emotional & Physical Disorders
- Environmental Health Issues
- Community Health & Advocacy
- Health Careers & Community Agencies
- Supporting Student Development in Physical Education
- Using Collaboration, Reflection & Technology in PE
- Motor Skills & Movement Activities for PE
- Kinesiology & Biomechanics
- Sports & Recreational Activities for PE
- Curriculum & Instruction for Physical Education
- Instructional Techniques & Strategies
- Communication in the Physical Education Classroom
- Assessment & Data in Physical Education
- Student Assessment in Special Education
- Praxis Health & Physical Education: Content Knowledge Flashcards