About This Chapter
Physical Education - Chapter Summary
Take another look at the components of physical fitness and view exercises that can improve cardiorespiratory and muscle endurance, muscle strength and flexibility. Lessons in this chapter can also help you review effective exercise regimens and the effects of physical activity and fitness on children's learning and development. Conclude your studies with a lesson covering children's motor skills difficulties. Topics include:
- Defining physical fitness
- Developing exercise programs
- Goals of physical activity
- Physical activity and child development
- Indicators of motor skill difficulties
- Fitness and learning
Review physical education topics whenever and wherever you please with self-paced materials accessible on your mobile device. The short videos last less than ten minutes each, and the transcripts make it easy to identify key vocabulary terms and main ideas. You can also take the multiple-choice quizzes included with each lesson. Responses link back to video content to help you shore up on any areas requiring extra study.
1. What is Physical Fitness? - Definition & Importance
Physical fitness is your ability to carry out tasks without undue fatigue. Learn about the components of physical fitness: cardiorespiratory endurance, muscle strength, muscle endurance, flexibility and body composition and why they are important.
2. Components of Exercise Programs: Aerobics, Strength Training & Stretching
Ever wonder what stretching, strength training, and aerobic exercises are? You'll learn about them in this lesson. You'll also find out what some basic recommendations are for each type of exercise.
3. Physical Activity: Health, Fitness and Performance
Physical activity is any movement of your muscles that uses energy. Physical activity helps you achieve better health, fitness and performance. Learn how the overload principle and specificity principle improve your fitness and performance.
4. How Physical Activity Impacts Childhood Development
Physical activity is an important aspect of childhood development for many reasons. This lesson will explore the importance of physical activity for healthy development and will end with a quiz to test your knowledge.
5. Identifying Motor Skill Difficulties in Children
Find out what motor skills are and the differences between fine and gross skills. Learn about motor skills development and indicators of motor skill dificulties in children.
6. How Fitness Influences Learning
This lesson provides a quick overview of how fitness and a little exercise before testing can improve children's learning process. We get down to the scientific reason and look at a few case studies to understand how it works.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Early Childhood Education (106): Practice & Study Guide course
- Early Childhood Development
- Developmental Learning Theories
- Factors Affecting Development
- Communication & Language Development
- Literacy Development in Early Childhood
- Literacy Instruction in Early Childhood
- Writing Development in Early Childhood
- Early Childhood Writing Instruction
- The Positive Learning Environment
- Early Childhood Assessment Strategies
- Responsibilities of Early Childhood Educators
- Collaborative Relationships in Early Childhood Education
- Math Foundations & Concepts
- Numbers, Word Problems, & Reasoning in Math
- Foundations for Science Instruction
- Basic Concepts of Earth & Space
- Physical Science Terms & Properties
- Living Organisms & Ecosystems
- Concepts & Tools in Geography
- Studying & Comparing Cultures
- Overview of American History
- Civics & Economics in America
- Creative Instruction Through the Arts
- Childhood Nutrition, Health & Safety
- MTTC Early Childhood Education Flashcards