About This Chapter
Physical Fitness & Development - Chapter Summary
This chapter dissects physical fitness and development as it applies to age groups from early childhood through adolescence. It reviews fundamental understanding of health and skill-related physical fitness as well as development before delving into the following topics:
- Physical growth in early childhood, middle childhood, and adolescence
- Nourishment, health, and safety concerns in early childhood
- Health and fitness in middle childhood and adolescence
Within the dashboard feature, you can explore links to practice quizzes and additional courses relevant to your studies while keeping tabs on your recent activity and progress through this chapter. While there, you can also ask questions of our subject-matter experts if you're having trouble with any aspect of the material.
1. Health-Related & Skill-Related Physical Fitness
In this lesson, you will learn about the difference between health-related physical fitness and skill-related physical fitness. You will also gain a clear understanding of the characteristics that are health-related or skill-related.
2. What Is Physical Development? - Definition and Examples
Everyone grows and changes throughout their lives. In this lesson, we'll look at some important times in physical development, including childhood and old age, and how physical development contributes to other types of development.
3. Physical Development in Early Childhood
Between the ages of two and seven, children grow and develop dramatically. Watch this lesson to look at some of the physical developments in early childhood, including balance, fine motor coordination and brain development.
4. Nutrition, Health, and Safety in Early Childhood
As children grow and develop, so do threats to their health. From nutrition and childhood obesity to accidents, this lesson will explore the issues that face children in early childhood and what parents can do to deal with them.
5. Physical Development in Middle Childhood
Between the ages of seven and twelve, children physically grow and change in ways that influence every part of their lives. In this lesson, we'll look at the ways that physical and brain development impact emotional and intellectual abilities.
6. Health and Fitness in Middle Childhood
The United States is facing a crisis of childhood obesity. But how can we fight this epidemic? Watch this video to learn about how children grow in middle childhood and how fitness and nutrition can help with the problem of obesity.
7. Physical Growth in Adolescence
Adolescents go through many physical changes. Watch this lesson to find out some of the physical developments that happen during adolescence, including those related to puberty, growth spurts and gender differences in growth.
8. Health and Fitness in Adolescence
Adolescence is a time of great physical change. However, many adolescents struggle with weight. Watch this lesson to learn more about those weight issues, including how they can fight obesity and issues with eating disorders.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Physical Education Subtest I (129): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the CSET Physical Education Test
- Motor Learning & Development
- Body Systems
- Motion & Movement
- Effects of Exercise
- Components of Wellness
- Physical Fitness Testing & Prescription
- Safety, Injury Prevention & First Aid
- Physiological Principles of Fitness
- Physical Education Class Planning
- Physical Individual & Team Activities
- Positive Effects of Fitness
- Physical Education Student Assessments
- CSET Physical Education Subtest 1 Flashcards