About This Chapter
Physical Fitness - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our instructors explain how the body uses glycogen, blood glucose, fat, and protein during physical activity. You'll be introduced to the difference between the anaerobic and aerobic use of glucose and the importance of staying properly nourished during training. This chapter will explain some benefits of physical activity, such as improvements in physical and mental health, stress management, and an improved life span. When you've completed this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain the components of different types of exercise programs
- Describe some health benefits of physical activity
- Understand the problems created by dehydration during exercise
Use these video lessons to make learning about physical fitness easier with simple-to-understand, engaging video modules. The professional video instructors give you user-friendly tools including self-assessment quizzes, video tags that allow you to toggle between the most important sections of the video, and clickable key words linked to additional information. If you want to read along with the videos, a transcript is included with each one.
1. What is Physical Fitness? - Definition & Importance
Physical fitness is the ability to do daily tasks without becoming easily fatigued. Explore the definition and importance of physical fitness and learn about cardiorespiratory endurance, muscle strength and endurance, flexibility, and body composition.
2. Physical Activity: Health, Fitness and Performance
Physical activity serves multiple purposes, including improving health, fitness, and performance. In this lesson, explore how physical activity relates to health, the overload principle, and the specificity principle.
3. The Benefits of Regular Physical Activity: Mental Health, Stress & Life Span
The benefits of regular physical activity include positive mental health, stress relief, and a longer life span. Learn about exercise for the mind and body, what counts as regular exercise, and physical activity for the body and mind.
4. Components of Exercise Programs: Aerobics, Strength Training & Stretching
Exercise is an activity that can help human beings stay physically and mentally healthy. Learn about the three components of exercise programs, including aerobics, strength training, and stretching. Review different aspects of exercise, including different types of stretching, aerobic exercises and endurance, athletic conditioning, and flexibility.
5. How Energy-Containing Molecules Support Physical Activity
During physical activity, energy-containing molecules must work to support the movements happening. In this lesson, dive into ATP, anaerobic metabolism, and aerobic metabolism.
6. Nutrients to Support Physical Activity
Nutrients are an important factor in energy levels and how well one can perform while physically active. Discover the six key nutrients used to support physical activity: water, carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, and minerals.
7. Staying Well Hydrated: The Importance of Fluids During Exercise
Dehydration can negatively impact exercise performance, cause adverse symptoms, and lead to heat-related illnesses, but is easily avoided by staying well-hydrated. Discover sodium's role in combating hyponatremia and learn about the importance of fluids during exercise to prevent dehydration, heat cramps, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the TExES Health EC-12 (157): Practice & Study Guide course
- Human Body Systems
- Maintaining Healthy Body Systems
- Prenatal and Human Development
- Nutritional Disorders
- Communicable Diseases
- Noncommunicable Diseases
- Understanding the Immune System
- Emotional & Mental Health
- Families & Family Issues
- Health & Healthy Relationships
- Sexuality & Health
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Safety, Accidents & Emergencies
- Alcohol, Tobacco & Other Drugs
- Substance Abuse & Addiction
- Community & Environmental Health
- Health Skills & Resources
- Health-Related Products & Services
- Health Education
- TExES Health EC-12 Flashcards