About This Chapter
Physical Science in Early Childhood Education - Chapter Summary
The lessons within this chapter explore various concepts and properties essential to the study of physical science, with topics geared especially towards early childhood education. You'll learn about subjects like electricity, heat, magnetic force, and more. By the time you finish the chapter, you'll have reviewed each of the following:
- The relationships between light and matter, and sound and matter
- The properties and states of matter
- The definition of sound and the influences on its speed
- The process of breaking down compounds
Both the videos and transcripts of the material contain features designed to help you navigate the content. The timeline tool underneath the videos allows you to jump around main aspects of the lessons while the bolded terms throughout the transcripts make for an easy way of picking out important terms and topics.
1. Matter: Physical and Chemical Properties
How are substances identified? There are two major ways we can describe a substance: physical properties and chemical properties. Learn about how chemists use properties to classify matter as either a mixture or a pure substance.
2. States of Matter: Solids, Liquids, Gases, & Plasma
Learn the four states of matter in the universe: solid, liquid, gas and plasma. Learn about the differences in shape and volume among the four states, which of the states is the most common and why plasma conducts electricity.
3. How Light & Matter Interact
This lesson will go over the fundamental basic of how light and matter interact with one another. You'll learn about photons, excited atoms, binding energy, and energy levels.
4. What is Sound? - Definition and Factors Affecting the Speed of Sound
Explore the minute workings of sound waves and how they travel. We'll discuss the main factors that affect the speed of sound waves, and we'll try some mathematical problems involving the wave equation.
5. How Do Sound and Matter Interact?
Learn how sound and matter are related and what happens when a sound wave reaches a new material. Also discover how absorption and reflection of sound can be useful. Then, test your knowledge with a quiz.
6. What is Heat? - Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of heat and find out how it differs from temperature. You will also explore practical applications of heat such as expansion, thermodynamics, heat transfer, specific heat, phase transitions, and heat engines.
7. What Is Electricity? - Definition & Concept
Learn the history of electricity, from Ben Franklin's kite experiment to laptop batteries. Explore the many different ways electricity is measured, generated, and stored.
8. How Compounds are Broken Down: Heat & Electricity
Compounds can be broken down into smaller compounds or their basic elements by chemical change. Sometime this breakdown requires energy. Learn how some compounds are broken down with heat or electricity.
9. Magnetic Force: Definition, Poles & Dipoles
You're probably familiar with magnets, but have you ever stopped to consider how they work? In this lesson, we'll look at the root of magnetism and some of the fundamental properties of magnets.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Early Childhood Education (206): Practice & Study Guide course
- Oral Language Development in Early Childhood
- Promoting Listening & Speaking Skills in Early Childhood
- Emergent Literacy in Early Childhood Education
- Phonemic Awareness in Early Childhood Education
- Print Concepts in Early Childhood Education
- Building Spelling Skills in Early Childhood
- Teaching Phonics in Early Childhood
- Word Identification Strategies in Early Childhood Education
- Vocabulary Development in Early Childhood Education
- Reading Comprehension Strategies in Early Childhood Education
- Applying Reading Skills in Early Childhood Education
- Writing Development in Early Childhood
- Early Childhood Writing Process
- Mathematical Concepts in Early Childhood
- Teaching Mathematics to Children
- Scientific Concepts & Processes in Early Childhood Education
- Earth & Space Science: Early Childhood Education
- Life Science in Early Childhood Education
- Environmental Science in Early Childhood Education
- Science Education Strategies for Early Childhood
- Geography Tools: Overview & Concepts
- Overview of American History
- Illinois History
- Civics & Economics in America
- Studying & Comparing Cultures
- Social Sciences in Early Childhood Education
- Protecting Personal Safety
- Health & Physical Education in Early Childhood Education
- Fine Arts in Child Education
- Early Childhood Physical Development
- Cognitive Development in Early Childhood
- Social Development in Early Childhood Education
- Health & Safety Issues in Early Childhood
- Planning for Instruction: Classroom Strategies
- Assessments in Childhood Education
- Individualized Education Plans
- Positive Learning Environments for Young Children
- The Early Childhood Education Professional
- Communication & Collaboration in Early Childhood Education
- ILTS Early Childhood Education Flashcards