About This Chapter
Physical Science Terms & Properties - Chapter Summary
Verify your understanding of how light and matter interact in this chapter, including what binding energy and ground state are. There's also a refresher lesson that covers the physical and chemical properties of matter that you'll find. As you explore this chapter, the lessons will also ensure that you're well-grounded in the following:
- Earth's major materials
- Soil erosion and its causes
- Heat and its various applications
- How electricity is created and measured
After spending a few minutes with each of the video lessons, you will be well-aware of content that's highly familiar to you and anything that might be new. The handy video tags give you an easy way to locate any parts to rewatch before going on to a different chapter. The chapter's practice quizzes will establish your grasp of each lesson's numerous key terms.
1. Matter: Physical and Chemical Properties
How are substances identified? There are two major ways we can describe a substance: physical properties and chemical properties. Learn about how chemists use properties to classify matter as either a mixture or a pure substance.
2. How Light & Matter Interact
This lesson will go over the fundamental basic of how light and matter interact with one another. You'll learn about photons, excited atoms, binding energy, and energy levels.
3. What is Heat? - Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of heat and find out how it differs from temperature. You will also explore practical applications of heat such as expansion, thermodynamics, heat transfer, specific heat, phase transitions, and heat engines.
4. What Is Electricity? - Definition & Concept
Learn the history of electricity, from Ben Franklin's kite experiment to laptop batteries. Explore the many different ways electricity is measured, generated, and stored.
5. Magnetic Force: Definition, Poles & Dipoles
You're probably familiar with magnets, but have you ever stopped to consider how they work? In this lesson, we'll look at the root of magnetism and some of the fundamental properties of magnets.
6. What is Kinematics? - Studying the Motion of Objects
Kinematics is the study of the motion of objects. Kinematics can tell you a lot about motion, but not everything. In this lesson, we will examine the types of questions kinematics can and cannot answer.
7. What is Soil Erosion? - Definition and Causes
With soil erosion, the top layer of soil is worn away due to factors such as water, wind and tillage of farmland. Learn about soil erosion and how natural elements and human activities break up and transport soil.
8. Earth's Materials: Minerals, Rocks, Soil & Water
Although the earth is a very complex system, there are only four main components of Earth that are the building blocks of life. These components are referred to as Earth's materials and include minerals, rocks, soil and water.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Early Childhood Education (106): Practice & Study Guide course
- Early Childhood Development
- Factors Affecting Development
- Communication & Language Development
- Literacy Development in Early Childhood
- Literacy Instruction in Early Childhood
- Writing Development in Early Childhood
- The Positive Learning Environment
- Early Childhood Assessment Strategies
- Responsibilities of Early Childhood Educators
- Collaborative Relationships in Early Childhood Education
- Math Foundations & Concepts
- Numbers, Word Problems, & Reasoning in Math
- Foundations for Science Instruction
- Creative Instruction Through the Arts
- Childhood Nutrition, Health & Safety
- Physical Education
- MTTC Early Childhood Education Flashcards
- Developmental Learning Theories
- Early Childhood Writing Instruction
- Basic Concepts of Earth & Space
- Living Organisms & Ecosystems
- Concepts & Tools in Geography
- Studying & Comparing Cultures
- Overview of American History
- Civics & Economics in America